Possible Dovii X RQ pair tank mates

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
A betta is no where near as territorial as an adult male dovii wanting to breed.Except with another male of its own kind.
A 24 inch tank for a betta is much more of a realistic compromise than a 220 for an adult dovii.
A dovii is a large powerful open water predator,capable of very fast bursts of speed.It is my opinion (and only my opinion) a 220 is nowhere near big enough for a solo male for life.
As magnificent as they are I would not even attempt to house one.
A dovii is no "large powerful open water predator,capable of very fast bursts of speed", compared to any big hap, it is a slow sedentary slug. I wouldn't put it in with tankmates in anything less than at least 10 feet, but I think you are glorifying dovii beyond what it deserves. A dovii is a big, mean, ugly, slow CA cichlid, in fact the only reason people keep them is because they are the biggest, ugliest and meanest CA cichlid. On its own scale, and considering its fighting ability, a betta may be jusr as aggressive. The only difference is people know how to cohabit them and don't know how to do it with dovii. If you weren't afraid of losing a few fish, you probably could figure it out.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
A dovii is no "large powerful open water predator,capable of very fast bursts of speed", compared to any big hap, it is a slow sedentary slug. I wouldn't put it in with tankmates in anything less than at least 10 feet, but I think you are glorifying dovii beyond what it deserves. A dovii is a big, mean, ugly, slow CA cichlid, in fact the only reason people keep them is because they are the biggest, ugliest and meanest CA cichlid. On its own scale, and considering its fighting ability, a betta may be jusr as aggressive. The only difference is people know how to cohabit them and don't know how to do it with dovii. If you weren't afraid of losing a few fish, you probably could figure it out.
Where did you come up with that notion.
Dovii are one of the top predators in its waters probably only beaten by marine bull sharks that enter it's environment.
They are fish eating open water predators that are capable of hunting fish down at very fast speeds.
I'm no expert on African cichlids but show me a haplachromine that can compare to a dovii and I will stand corrected.
I don't see the point of the comparison any way.
Compared to an Oscar or a Severum a dovii is like an f1 car with teeth.
These comparisons mean very little in this discussion. My point was a Dovii male capable of 30 inches,and capable of high speed pursuits has no place with tank mates in a 220.
I imagine many of the predatory haps could fit a 220 with tank mate's quite comfortably.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This again....

This is why I like the polypterus section :rolleyes:

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Not trying to get in the middle of something here. Just trying to make a point and then I will step aside and you guys can have it out.
But maybe you are both right. I think anyone would agree that a 220 will not hold a Male dovii for life, Not in any sort of comfortable way anyhow, and I would hate to have to deal with a male betta if it were to grow 30" as compared to a dovii.
But that said, I do not see how one can make the comparison when talking about housing them. It would have to be a direct comparison.
If you put a betta a fish that get 3" in a 24" or 2 feet aquarium. Then the 30" dovii would have to be in a tank 10 times that length so the tank would be 240" or 20 feet long.

Last edited:
Reactions: J. H. and Stanzzzz7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Nothing wrong with a healthy debate Hendre.
You no how passionate cichlid keepers get.
I was mates with good ol' franky, I know :rolleyes:

Not trying to get in the middle of something here. Just trying to make a point and then I will step aside and you guys can have it out.
But maybe you are both right. I think anyone would agree that a 220 will not hold a Male dovii for life, Not in any sort of comfortable way anyhow, and I would hate to have to deal with a male betta if it were to grow 30" as compared to a dovii.
But that said, I do not see how one can make the comparison when talking about housing them. It would have to be a direct comparison.
If you put a betta a fish that get 3" in a 24" or 2 feet aquarium. The the 30" dovii would have to be in a tank 10 times that length so the tank would be 240" or 20 feet long.
I agree. I don't think many make is past 20" (?) so maybe 8ft minimum is survivable.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
If you put a betta a fish that get 3" in a 24" or 2 feet aquarium. Then the 30" dovii would have to be in a tank 10 times that length so the tank would be 240" or 20 feet long.
That's kind of what I was trying to say.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I don't see the point of the comparison any way.
Compared to an Oscar or a Severum a dovii is like an f1 car with teeth.
These comparisons mean very little in this discussion. My point was a Dovii male capable of 30 inches,and capable of high speed pursuits has no place with tank mates in a 220.
I imagine many of the predatory haps could fit a 220 with tank mate's quite comfortably.
This is true. No hap has as bad of an attitude as a dovii. My point was that dovii, like all other SA/CA cichlids are benthopelagic NOT pelagic like haps. They live a foot or two off the same patch of mud their whole lives. They are not "open water fish". Also, the only reason why dovii are top predators in their habitat is because all the other fish are pussys.A fully grown channelcat could eat dovii for breakfast, and that is a wussy fish. Blue/flathead catfish wouldn't know the difference between a dovii and a goldfish, and a pike, gar, or arapaima wouldn't either.
You are right. I am not sure how I missed this.
This again....

This is why I like the polypterus section :rolleyes:
I am NOT a cichlid guy. Definitely not an American Cichlid guy. Yes, the amphilophus and thoricthys are stunners, but I have had enough SA/CA for a long time, now that I have a)kept angels and convicts and b)read threads of the pain and suffering that comes with these fish. Maybe thoricthys, with headstanders and livebearers, and rift lakes...
Rift lake cichlids might fight, and some of them might do it all the time for fun, but they are not nasty the SA/CA are. For example, mbuna are not mean, they just like to eat, have sex and fight, in no particular order.Most SA/CA I have seen were psychopaths.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
For example, mbuna are not mean, they just like to eat, have sex and fight, in no particular order.Most SA/CA I have seen were psychopaths.
Isn't working as a sig :(

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store