Possible fungus starting on my carpentis shortbody female

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Hello, I noticed last week that my female shortbody carpentis had a red fungus looking mark on the dorsal fin and bottom fin, no change in behaviour still very active and eating regularly, how can I treat ? And has anyone experienced this before? Also no other fish in the tank has it

IMG_9075.jpeg

IMG_9074.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like lymphocystis more than fungus. If it is then resolve on its own. Not obvious to me from pics. If it’s fungus then some water changes and make sure it’s eating. If still persistent then try some hydrogen peroxide on qtip to the area.

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Looks like lymphocystis more than fungus. If it is then resolve on its own. Not obvious to me from pics. If it’s fungus then some water changes and make sure it’s eating. If still persistent then try some hydrogen peroxide on qtip to the area.
Thanks for the advice, Just looked up some pics of lymphocystis and it’s 100% what my female has looks identical, is it contagious?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for the advice, Just looked up some pics of lymphocystis and it’s 100% what my female has looks identical, is it contagious?
It’s contagious.

Reactions: anzo1993

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, it looks like Lymph, which is viral, and ubiquitous.
There are no medications effective against it, just lots of water changes, and low stress.
IMG_9075.jpeg
One of the ways you distinguish fungus if that it is kind of furry, with thin hairlike tufts.
I do not see see that in your photo, that I enlarged and darkened to get a better view.

I would be remiss in saying although Lymph is kind of like our common cold, in normal fish, and usually self cures,
those fish that have been intentionally bred to be deformed, like short body, or other color oddities like EBJDs, and BPs,
it seems these simple viral maladies are more common, and can be slightly more problematic.
I don't know if when trying to breed for extra color or odd shapes sacrifices to a obust immune system are the result.

Reactions: anzo1993

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
I agree, it looks like Lymph, which is viral, and ubiquitous.
There are no medications effective against it, just lots of water changes, and low stress.
View attachment 1520327
One of the ways you distinguish fungus if that it is kind of furry, with thin hairlike tufts.
I do not see see that in your photo, that I enlarged and darkened to get a better view.

I would be remiss in saying although Lymph is kind of like our common cold, in normal fish, and usually self cures,
those fish that have been intentionally bred to be deformed, like short body, or other color oddities like EBJDs, and BPs,
it seems these simple viral maladies are more common, and can be slightly more problematic.
I don't know if when trying to breed for extra color or odd shapes sacrifices to a obust immune system are the result.
Thank you for the response I had no idea what it was, the other fish in the tank don’t seem to be showing any signs of lymph for now and they’ve been together quite awhile so that’s a good sign I hope, I’ve isolated her in a tank of her own but as for behaviour and eating habits everything seems to be normal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store