Possible New Oscar Tank

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
I just acquired a 100+ gallon tank from a good friend, I am considering a couple tank options and I keep going back to my first predatory fish... I always enjoyed a Oscar in my tank and now I think I may go that route once more. However that being said to have a truly good tank for an Oscar I am seeing a few things that I do not think I had last time. Such as... sand substrate I believe I have river stones... I know they require warm water, I know they are messy so a good filter is a must lastly from what I have read a planted tank is not the best for them. Outside of these things I have learned is there any good advice for keeping Oscars?
Thanks
Glenn

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Be patient and let the Oscar grow out alone in the 100g. The best scavenger fish is the Python No Spill water changer. Sand substrate is easier to clean, get at least mesh size #20 silica sand (like pool filter sand). Pebbles are a gamble, as oscars have demonstrated the ability to swallow them and having it stuck in their gut. Temp at least at 75F is sufficiently warm.

Reactions: Niki_up

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
Yea that is the last thing I want is have them hurt themselves on substrate... I have seen the wild Columbian Oscars and I am pretty impressed with there color scheme. First and foremost I have to make sure the tank is 100%... besides sand and driftwood are there any must haves for a Oscar tank?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Yea that is the last thing I want is have them hurt themselves on substrate... I have seen the wild Columbian Oscars and I am pretty impressed with there color scheme. First and foremost I have to make sure the tank is 100%... besides sand and driftwood are there any must haves for a Oscar tank?
Driftwood is not necessary as an adult, but would provide refuge for when smaller (less than 6"). If you don't have the API freshwater test kit, I would get one. You'll have to test the nitrate at least weekly until around 2-3 years of age. Keep the nitrates below 20ppm every day. If you are using 2 heaters, I would get a heater controller (inkbird makes a decent one) so that one heater is not doing all the work (causing it to fail sooner). Pay attention to the heater manufacturer's recommended tank size, and not rely on wattage. Best to get 2 rated for up to 75-100g.

Reactions: tlindsey

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
I will take that into consideration... and from what I have experienced and read a canister would be best for the waste they will give off. The easier to keep the tank the better I suppose.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
After using canisters for a couple years now, I would suggest getting two AC110'S. Much easier to clean so will encourage you to do it more often. With canisters you have to disconnect the hoses, move the can out to work on it. Clean it out, put it all back together, hope the seals hold, get it back in place, reconnect the hoses. So much more work than cleaning a AC110.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
After using canisters for a couple years now, I would suggest getting two AC110'S. Much easier to clean so will encourage you to do it more often. With canisters you have to disconnect the hoses, move the can out to work on it. Clean it out, put it all back together, hope the seals hold, get it back in place, reconnect the hoses. So much more work than cleaning a AC110.
I would rather clean 5 ac110’s than 1 fx6. Make it 10 actually.

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
You know its funny last big tank I kept I had Fluval FX5 because I was encouraged that they do a better job but I always liked HOB especially the AC110... so its good to know that some refer those to the canisters. So thank you for the advice there.

Reactions: Jexnell

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
100%

I regret getting my fx6. I've been actually considering selling it for this very reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store