possible to breed this pair of angelfish?

tenshi032

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2017
Hi fellow fish keepers,

My dad purchased this pair of Angelfish over a year ago and i am wondering if i am able to breed them?

I have taken photographs of them and is not sure if they are suitable for breeding.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

BD11C866-0812-4FCD-923B-2870BE57558D.jpeg

395E2A2A-9FC8-4DE5-94B2-DAD65546CF1B.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi fellow fish keepers,

My dad purchased this pair of Angelfish over a year ago and i am wondering if i am able to breed them?

I have taken photographs of them and is not sure if they are suitable for breeding.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

View attachment 1432374

View attachment 1432375
If the 2 Angefish were naturally paired off when your Dad got them then yes if conditions in the aquarium are right.

tenshi032

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2017
If the 2 Angefish were naturally paired off when your Dad got them then yes if conditions in the aquarium are right.
Thanks for the reply tlindsey! This pair was randomly chosen from the LFS and not purchased as a breeding pair.

From the photos, anyone can advise me if they are male or female?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
First looks female with a pretty high degree of certainty due to the way the breeding tube looks. Harder to tell with the second one but it also looks female. Buy a third and see what happens

Reactions: Raka and dr exum

tenshi032

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2017
First looks female with a pretty high degree of certainty due to the way the breeding tube looks. Harder to tell with the second one but it also looks female. Buy a third and see what happens
hi phreeflow, thank you for the reply! as for buying a third and see how it goes, sorry as i am not familiar with angelfish, should i get back the same breed? or any other breed will do?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hi phreeflow, thank you for the reply! as for buying a third and see how it goes, sorry as i am not familiar with angelfish, should i get back the same breed? or any other breed will do?
Get the same breed if you plan on breeding.

Reactions: dr exum

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Get the same breed if you plan on breeding.
I would only breed em with the same specie if they are a pure bred strains already. If the came from a chain store I would say they are mutts already. If it's a mutt already I would say just choose another one that looks similar to keep the color as neat as possible.

I would also recommend adding 2-3 of em at a time to help avoid too much aggression from the original 2 in the tank. Angelfish may be a dainty and delicate fish but they are still cichlids and have the classic cichlid aggression.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
i thought this as well....

best to buy a group of 6 or so let them pair off.... i had a group of 5.... not all same species... turns out my female koi was breeding with one of the others and not the male koi....

i have had the male/female koi in a solo tank heavily planted by them selves and she’s egg bound ??

google m/f descriptions... usually males will have a hump and their under streamer hang down things are different - vs female.

GL!

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
They’re most likely mutts already so I personally wouldn’t worry about which color angelfish to add to the group. The silver wild type pattern that your angels exhibit is a pretty dominant trait so even if you crossbred them with marbles, you’ll still get some of these.

Angels have little to no dimorphism so it’s hard sex them but if you find a large one at the petstore that has a bit of a hump on the head and is aggressive, there’s a chance that’s a male. You can always add more but I’d start by adding one or two more and seeing what happens first. Because if you do get a pair and they breed, you’ll quickly need more space and will have tons more angels. They’re fun to breed and most stores will gladly buy them. Not so much for other cichlids but there’s always a ready market for angels

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
I wouldn't worry about color. If you're breeding to sell you want variety, and everyone has silvers as almost all pair will generate some.

I would worry about the quality of the fish overall.

Do they have the pre-dorsal "spikes"? How are the fins shaped? Are the ventrals straight and symmetrical?

Better traits here will generate lower cull rates.

Here is a "blue zebra" that came from my blue marble pair. Most would still call it a silver at the pet store. However I am very happy with the overall quality so they are a keeper!

20200903_172926.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store