Possibly about to reseal 225 gallon

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
Possibly about to reseal 225 gallon because the back right corner is leaking. Anything I should know before doing it. I plan to remove silicone and clean it and apply new silicone to each seam as I go. Also thinking about just selling it for cheap since I bought cheap a few years ago.

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
Gunna take it all off and do it in one shot I think the tank holds itself together with the borders and silicone left in between glass panes.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Gunna take it all off and do it in one shot I think the tank holds itself together with the borders and silicone left in between glass panes.
You are correct.
If the silicone between the glass is in good condition.
Then all you will need to do is cut out all the old silicone on the inside and reseal.
Make sure that all the residue is removed and the glass is completely clean.
Be careful not to let the blade slip between the glass while you are cutting the inside seam out.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yep^
Once you think you got all the old silicone off, go over it again. Leave it. Then go back and clean it again.
Have plenty of new razors on hand, you’ll want to keep using really sharp ones. It’s also nice to have a shop vac to suck up oak the little pieces.

I found it exhausting, but I have bad hands and couldn’t tank the tank off the stand. So I was on a ladder the whole time. Not fun. But it’s definitely worth the effort.

Reactions: deeda

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
I did everything you guys said. Right now the next step is to touch up with one final look and then apply silicone. Curious at what point do seams need to be punched out and resealed?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I did everything you guys said. Right now the next step is to touch up with one final look and then apply silicone. Curious at what point do seams need to be punched out and resealed?
You mean the silicone between the glass panels? Only if the tank is literally falling apart. I just took apart an old 150, probably from the 80s, and when i removed the seals, side glass and brace the silicone was still strong enough to hold the front and back panels straight up in place without any support.

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
You mean the silicone between the glass panels? Only if the tank is literally falling apart. I just took apart an old 150, probably from the 80s, and when i removed the seals, side glass and brace the silicone was still strong enough to hold the front and back panels straight up in place without any support.
Yea the seams, but its no problem with this tank.

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
I finished resealing it just now. Looks like **** from the inside I thought but not bad from outside. Some goodadvice I got was I bought a caulk spreader but now I cant get the silicone off it. Another good tip was starting at the bottom parts and once I got the hang of it doing the vertical parts that are more visible. One thing that I learned quickly was it drys fast so spread as you go and for my 225 1 tube was literally just enough.
Next step im going to build the standard stand for it. I have spare 2x6s that Im going to take apart and use for the leg pieces that actually hold weight. The rest will most likely be 2x4. Here it is just after I had drained it. There is the puddy i used to fill a leak. It lasted maybe 3 y1584738433865.png
1584738449860.png

stand.jpg

Attachments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store