Possibly the last pond update

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
What do you mean you wish? Teasing? Getting out of the hobby? That'd be unacceptable, immature, preposterous, asinine, ridiculos, and... and... I am at a loss of words.
Yeah! You have to build a pond. Your landscaping is amazing, and you enjoy taking care of fish. Why say I wish?
You flatter me.. ? The unfortunate truth is I will be leaving in a rented apartment for the foreseeable future. I.e either getting out of the hobby completely or downsizing heavily. Of course if I had the means to build a pond, I would.. lol

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Too bad brother, from our severely limited and humble perspective, of course. We'll hope and pray time will come when you are back bigger and better.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hey dude, I was wondering how large in gallons your pond is. My dad wants to build a pond and is wondering how many koi he can fit in. Thanks!

Reactions: Chub_by

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey dude, I was wondering how large in gallons your pond is. My dad wants to build a pond and is wondering how many koi he can fit in. Thanks!
I don't remember the number off the top of my head but the koi forums and websites contain the recommendations. It really depends on the planted and natural or not, filtration, aeration, overwintering, protection against predators or water lnd, and air, what you want out of the pond and fish, etc. Your dad and you would be extremely well advised to do lots of reading and watching lots of videos before starting with the concrete plans. This is the opposite of trivial for an average hobbyist.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Your dad and you would be extremely well advised to do lots of reading and watching lots of videos before starting with the concrete plans.
We've done plenty of that. We have probably watched 5 hours of vids. But this is not a thread for my stuff. Sorry for the bother, and I am so sorry about the move too.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Essentially what thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter said. One thing that literally everyone who builds a pond says is that they wish they'd gone bigger/deeper ;) Also, for koi especially, filtration is everything. For comparison, my pond is around 3.500 US gallons. The pond itself could handle more koi but the filtration doesn't even keep up well with what I have now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store