Loulou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Mauritius Island, Indian Ocean
Ianab;1675524; said:
Something differernt.

NZ native freshwater crayfish

This little guy I caught in the stream down at the back of the garden a few days back. He seems to have settled in eating shrimp wafers and pieces of vege.

Amazing thing is when I researched them, a 3" one like this is probably 15 years old.

Ian
Fantastic Crayfish! :) Incredible that it could be 15 years old... how long can it live?

Loulou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
This picture is fabulous! :)

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
Incredible that it could be 15 years old... how long can it live?
I think about 30 years. That one is about 3" long, and they can grow to about 5". Being coldwater they grow much slower than tropical species, but also live longer.

Ian

Loulou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Ianab;1684226; said:
I think about 30 years. That one is about 3" long, and they can grow to about 5". Being coldwater they grow much slower than tropical species, but also live longer.

Ian
Thank you for the info :) When you say cold water, how cold are we talking about (in Celcius if possible)?

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
Summer temps might get up to 18-20C, but winter it can occasionally be snow melt or iced over ponds, so they can handle pretty cold water, at least for short periods.

Ian

The Willows

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2008
Queensland
Here in OZ our freshwater Yabbies can live in extreme cold. Mine came from an area where the water temp can be 25C or down to 9C. During the colder months they are not active and bury themselves in the sand, under logs etc.

My tank is new and currently Autumn (Fall for you Yanks) is now 20C but expect it to drop over the next months to 11C and i then may have to put in a heater.

Devilishbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Alberta Canada
Found a lobster shell 2day!!!

bj 006.JPG

Reactions: Balistik928
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store