Post your Australian native fish pics

carfreak1995

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
nsw,australia
i know this an old thread but im thinking about getting natives again, should i get a barra or sooty grunter for my 4 footer?

i used to have 2 bass and 4 gudgeons a couple of years ago in a 3 footer.

carfreak1995

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
nsw,australia
nice tank

if i could get a 6x2x2 i would try to set something up like that but my parents said i cant get a 6 footer but if i pay for it myself i can probably get a 4x2x2 because at the moment i have a standard 4 footer.

how long would it take before i had to get a bigger tank for a sooty grunter? and would i be able to put some gudgeons or something with it? because i dont just want one fish in a tank by itself.

jcon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
Australia
Thanks.

You can find big tanks quite cheap on petlink.com.au

You could probably get away with a year to a year and a half - 2years. Thats if you get him small. Sooties are notorious for being a bully and when they get bigger they can kill everything in your tank, but that depends on the fish.

Bullrouts are easy to keep, they dont move much unless you piss them off, then they move real quick. You have to watch them though when cleaning your tank and performing other maintenance, they are poisonous and if you get stung, they hurt like buggery and you will need to go to hospital. They are an ambush predator, I hand feed mine, they only eat live food, but I have heard of people getting them onto prawn or pellets.

carfreak1995

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
nsw,australia
would i be able to just put some nice driftwood in it so gudgeons or something cant get eaten by the sooty grunter?

or would i be better off just getting 2 bass only instead of a sooty grunter?

the pet shop in town had some natives like jungle perch, coal grunters and some eel tail cats the other day when i went there so they might be able to get bass or a sooty grunter in for me.

D. Hedington

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2009
QLD, austaralia
dont have any pics right now, but I've got a 40+cm gulf toga, a couple sleepy cod growing out, and a pair of 30+cm forktail cats.

jcon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
Australia
carfreak1995;4268936; said:
would i be able to just put some nice driftwood in it so gudgeons or something cant get eaten by the sooty grunter?

or would i be better off just getting 2 bass only instead of a sooty grunter?

the pet shop in town had some natives like jungle perch, coal grunters and some eel tail cats the other day when i went there so they might be able to get bass or a sooty grunter in for me.

Sooties are predators, they will eventually eat them.

This is what you should expect from one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5PeHaSiMI

They are an awesome fish, but i think they are a one fish tank. I had a small one 3" having a go at my 10" toga. He eventually went missing due to my cod.

jcon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
Australia
D. Hedington;4268960; said:
dont have any pics right now, but I've got a 40+cm gulf toga, a couple sleepy cod growing out, and a pair of 30+cm forktail cats.

Well get the pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store