post your biggest catches....

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
IMG_3013.jpg
My two younger cousins and I. One holding the shark helped land it, he's 14. I caught it though, my PB fish. 43", 20-6. Caught at Bald Head Island at approximately 7:30 in the morning :)

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
View attachment 1194735
My two younger cousins and I. One holding the shark helped land it, he's 14. I caught it though, my PB fish. 43", 20-6. Caught at Bald Head Island at approximately 7:30 in the morning :)
Where is this? That was a Blacktip?
Some of my catches

what are some of these guys in these pix? I know that is one BEAST of a Spiny Lobster......I mean HUGE, and I think I recognize a California Sheepshead, a Mackerel, some Amberjacks (?), and maybe Kelp bass or Giant Sea Bass??? What the heck took a bite out of that one??? What is that huge silver fish you're holding on the road??

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

HEX805

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016

what are some of these guys in these pix? I know that is one BEAST of a Spiny Lobster......I mean HUGE, and I think I recognize a California Sheepshead, a Mackerel, some Amberjacks (?), and maybe Kelp bass or Giant Sea Bass??? What the heck took a bite out of that one??? What is that huge silver fish you're holding on the road??
Haha I'm at work so I'll give you the full story tonight when I get home.

HEX805

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016

California Yellowtail, White Seabass, Calico Bass, California Spiny Lobster, Leopard Grouper, California Sheepshead, and Bonito.

As for what took a bite out of that Leopard Grouper... Short story, Basically I shot the fish he then holed up at 40 feet of water, I had to go up for air, when i went back down a big Male Sea Lion came and took my fish, I proceeded to chase him down but he swam farther, I went back on the boat to try to find him from the surface and shortly after we saw him munching on my fish, so I literally jump in the water and Swam towards him and he quickly let the fish go for me to take back.

I always trip out on what the ocean has in store for us to explore, amazing place.

If you notice my knife actually came off of the handle when I went to dispatch the fish and is still stuck on the side of his head.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
California Yellowtail, White Seabass, Calico Bass, California Spiny Lobster, Leopard Grouper, California Sheepshead, and Bonito.

As for what took a bite out of that Leopard Grouper... Short story, Basically I shot the fish he then holed up at 40 feet of water, I had to go up for air, when i went back down a big Male Sea Lion came and took my fish, I proceeded to chase him down but he swam farther, I went back on the boat to try to find him from the surface and shortly after we saw him munching on my fish, so I literally jump in the water and Swam towards him and he quickly let the fish go for me to take back.

I always trip out on what the ocean has in store for us to explore, amazing place.

If you notice my knife actually came off of the handle when I went to dispatch the fish and is still stuck on the side of his head.
very interesting, I never seen a white seabass before and the Calico is apparently a fish I am familiar, but I know it as the "Kelp Bass" - gotta love English common names lol Also my 1st time seeing a California Yellowtail.....it looks like a mix between a Yellowtail Snapper and an Amberjack but I should have known when it was missing the diagonal black stripe through the eye. How many species of Groupers do you guys have out there?

I did see a piece of metal sticking out of the fish, didn't recognize it as a knife blade though

HEX805

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016
very interesting, I never seen a white seabass before and the Calico is apparently a fish I am familiar, but I know it as the "Kelp Bass" - gotta love English common names lol Also my 1st time seeing a California Yellowtail.....it looks like a mix between a Yellowtail Snapper and an Amberjack but I should have known when it was missing the diagonal black stripe through the eye. How many species of Groupers do you guys have out there?

I did see a piece of metal sticking out of the fish, didn't recognize it as a knife blade though
Yeah white sea bass are very beautiful fish and very elusive as well, I got lucky and shot that 60lber. Calico Bass is also known as Kelp Bass, as the name suggest they live in or around Kelp Forests. Yellowtail is in the Amberjack family, Australia also has them but they are a sub species known as Kingfish, they look identical but grow out waaaay bigger over there, Japan also has them and they are known as Hamachi. We don't have any Grouper in California beside the Giant Black Sea bass but they are protected by the State of California so absolutely no take on those Mystical giants. Sometimes Broomtail Grouper venture in from South of the Border. Cabrilla or Leopard Grouper are found in Baja California Mexico specifically on the Sea Of Cortez side of the Peninsula and that's where I travel to go shoot them along with an array of other tasty game fish. That area is also home to the Gulf Grouper which is a trophy fish that I've yet to land. I'm working on getting one though. They get really huge, over 100 pounds!

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016

Yeah, 20-6 blacktip shark. Caught it on Bald Head Island which is in southern NC where the river meets the ocean kinda (river side and an ocean side). Saturday I head to Myrtle Beach, just got my 9/0 shipped today :) it's filled with like Dacron or something, this stuffs like rope lol. It won't let me upload the pics, oh well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store