Potamotrygon Hystrix housing?

Rollokola

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2018
It's been a long lasting dream for me to keep stingrays, but I don't think I could ever have a tank large enough to house most (Leopoldi/Motoro/boesemani etc).
I don't want to be one of the "low ball" people who cram their fish into a tank as small as 'possible', I want them to have a good home. I have friends keeping larger rays in large tanks, but recently learned abput P. Hystrix and its supposed maximim size of around 14-18" disc.
I don't know anything about these rays and all sources on the internet have different info, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them and what size I could keep one or two comfortably in?
Could 2 live a full life in a 100"x30" footprint tank? (300 Gallons)

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Matteus

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I would say length is probably good but you really ideally want minimum of 2x the length of the fish in depth (front to back). While 30" may be close to double the disk size thats not all of the fish. I'd say 4' would be best.

Rollokola

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2018
Thanks for the input. 300G is out of the question then. Do you have any experience in what size of fish they may go after if housed with?
Ideally I'd want to keep cichlas but I don't think I can get a tank that large. So, second option is satanopercas/geos and silver dollars. Do you think they would be fine with the ray?

Reactions: Matteus

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Your 300 gal might work. I kept and bred hystrix in a 6 x 3' tank for several years. Search through the stingrays section for more information. Acquiring them now is the big hurdle.
I kept mine with some goes for awhile. Also had tetras and catfish in the tank.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I just recently acquired a male hystrix. He is currently 13” and 8 years old. He is currently in a 300 gal of mine at a friends shop. He has lived his first 8 years in a 500g tank with a footprint smaller than that afaik. So personally I think it could work. He had silver dollars in with him when I picked him up so sds are typically a good tank mate.

the biggest issue is a steady wc schedule and possibly a drip system. Heavy filtration is key.

Don’t know anything about satanacopera so can’t speak on that.

if you decide you want to pull the trigger on hystrix, hit me up on a pm and I can let you know if a few good people who have hystrix for sale

Reactions: Rollokola
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store