Pounds of gravel for tank?

HighBackRTG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
I have a 29 gallon tank with measurements of 30x12x18. It's bare bottom atm and very lack luster. I plan to put in some jet black gravel but I'm not sure how many pounds will be needed to to evenly cover the bottom? I don't want too much gravel as that would be a hassle to vac during wcs. However if I order too little I'll have bald spots and will have to order more + pay more shipping. Would 10 lbs be about right? Or do I need more?

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
If you're going to plant rocks/caves and plants into the substrate, I think 10 lbs. should be sufficient. I have the same tank but got the gravel used in a large bag, not weighed. But I honestly cannot see needing more than 10 lbs. If you do get it and find 10 lbs. to be not enough, just gather some larger stones from around to mix through the substrate to help fill in any areas. I'd rather have too little that too much in terms of gravel, but agree bare spots are not appealing.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
As usally put about 2-3 inches of gravel..........Sand I prefer more in the middle as a mixture of cosmetix..............

Gervahlt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Asheville, NC
Why not paint the bottom black, then add your 10 lbs? That way, you don't have much gravel to clean, but you also can't see bare glass. Although I think you'll be wanting more like 20 lbs. in the end.

CClump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Seattle
why are you going to order it? it cant be that much cheaper than just going to petco or a lfs. i think a 25lb bag of gravel is 20 bucks or so at petco and i think it was 2 bucks for 5lb at my lfs

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
HighBackRTG;4432644; said:
I have a 29 gallon tank with measurements of 30x12x18. It's bare bottom atm and very lack luster. I plan to put in some jet black gravel but I'm not sure how many pounds will be needed to to evenly cover the bottom? I don't want too much gravel as that would be a hassle to vac during wcs. However if I order too little I'll have bald spots and will have to order more + pay more shipping. Would 10 lbs be about right? Or do I need more?
HighBackRTG:

The general rule for calculating the amount of gravel for ANY tank is:

If you want 1 inch of substrate: 1 lb. of gravel per gallon;
1 lb. x 29 gal. = 29 lbs of gravel which will give you 1 inch of substrate.

If you want 2 inches of substrate: 2 lbs. of gravel per gallon;
2 lbs. x 29 gal. = 58 lbs of gravel which will give you 2 inches of substrate.

Using sand:

If you want 1 inch of substrate: 1.5 lbs of sand per gallon;
1.5 lbs. x 29 gal. = 43.5 lbs. of sand which will give you 1 inch of substrate.

If you want 2 inches of substrate: 3 lbs. of sand per gallon;
3.0 lbs. x 29 gal. = 87.0 lbs of sand which will give you 2 inches of substrate.

These calculations are mainly used if you are going to be planting live plants in your tank, usually. If you're not going to be planting live plants and will be using artificial plants or no plants at all, 1 inch of substrate should be enough. I hope this information helps with your decission.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store