power efficient ways to heat a tank

brazzers_24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2013
Nova-Scotia
hey guys, i have a powers usage issue trying to heat my aquariums. Do you guys know of any ways or ideas i could use to heat my tank? anything really to make the power usage less...

coonass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2011
Lake Worth, FL
Making heat with electricity is expensive. Maybe consider keeping temperate fish that would be happy at room temperature. You could try insulating the non-viewable sides of the tank to reduce heat loss.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
What size tank?

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Simple physics states that it takes X watts of energy to heat Y litres of water to Z temperature, regardless of how it is supplied. So you've got two options; find a cheaper source of heat (wood, natural gas, inverter/heatpump perhaps), or insulate your tank better to minimise the heatloss. The second option us usually far more cost-effective and beneficial, and easier.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Simple physics states that it takes X watts of energy to heat Y litres of water to Z temperature, regardless of how it is supplied. So you've got two options; find a cheaper source of heat (wood, natural gas, inverter/heatpump perhaps), or insulate your tank better to minimise the heatloss. The second option us usually far more cost-effective and beneficial, and easier.
What he said. Anytime the word physics is used in this forum it make me happy...at least when its used properly

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; What temp are you tying to maintain? Many tropicals can do quite well at around 70 F. Consider lowering the base temp of the tanks. I keep my current tanks around 73 F.

If you own the property the ideal fix is to seal and insulate the home/apartment. I have been adding insulation to and sealing my current home since moving in a few years ago. The expense of the ambient temperature maintained with the basic heating system of the home can often be less than electrical resistance heaters used in aquariums.

A goal of mine is to add a wood/coal stove or propane heater at some point. As I live in coal mining country I may go that way. I have heated with a warm morning coal heater in the past. It is good heat, but dirty.

If the tank is in the living area of the home and not in a garage, then the heat that radiates from the tanks will ultimately help heat the home. It is perhaps the more expensive way to make heat from electricity.

Good luck

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
In addition to what was mentioned, sticking with the physics thing.

Heat loss from an aquarium occurs at the surfaces. Larger tanks have less surface area per volume than smaller tanks. So it'll take more energy to heat 100 1 gallon tanks than 1 100 gallon tank because the small tanks have more surface area and heat loss to the room (assuming you don't want to heat your house to 82F).

I say this because you said "tanks" so if there is an option one of larger tank you could use less electricity per gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
As others have mentioned, preventing heat loss by insulating is your best bet. Insulating the sides will help, but we all know that heat rises, so having relatively tight fitting lids will help reduce the amount your heaters come on by a lot.

Also, dropping water temps a few degrees can really have an impact on how often your heaters come on. The larger the difference between your room temps and water temps, the more often your heaters come on because the water is constantly trying to equalize with room temps, but even slightly lowering the setting on your heaters can have a significant impact.

If the air temperature where the tank is located is really cold, running a wet/dry filter is going to make your heaters run more often; it will act like a giant chiller by forcing drops of water to come in contact with cool air (for this reason, I decided not to run a wet/dry filter on my tank). I've also found that running my air pump (introducing cold air into the water column) also results in my heaters coming on a lot more frequently. As long as your water is already well oxygenated, you can perhaps consider not running air stones during the colder parts of the year.

Acrylic has higher insulating properties than glass, so setting up acrylic tanks will also help with keeping the heat where you want it...in your water.

I feel your pain. I've done pretty much everything I can to keep my power bill under control, but during the coldest parts of the year I can burn through 300KWHRs/month just to maintain 76F in my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store