Powered aquarium vacuum (Eheim, Fluval or other) (gravel vac)

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
MY 13 year old daughter has her first aquarium. A used 55g with one Axolotl, bare bottom and a few decorations. We (she) decided to go bare bottom for ease of cleaning. She does weekly water changes and has a happy healthy Axolotl.

I would like to get her something to vacuum the poop off the bottom of the tank between water changes for her birthday.

Fluval ProVac AC powered (no batteries). ~$53

Fluval Aquavac (battery powered) $39

Eheim QuickVac (Battery powered) $46

Tom aquarium Mr. Cleaner (Battery powered) $14 - (Adage: you get what you pay for)

I am learning towards the Fluval ProVac... buy once, cry once... it should last for ever???

I believe any of these should vacuum poop from a bare bottom tank but I would like a vac that is easy to clean, will work well on future tougher jobs and will last a long time (I have a 30yo Penguin filter and 20yo Eheim that still work as well as the day they were new).

Does anyone have any experience with any of these vacs they could share? Or any other vac? We already have a siphon vac and do not need another. It would be nice to be able to start a siphon without sucking or using a venturi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I tried the Eheim and it was too weak. The mesh also didn't seem to filter too well.

I actually use a hand water pump with extra tubing attached to it for bare bottom tanks. I got the idea from a big discus breeder's Youtube video.

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
As S squint said hand pump. Or she can always use her mouth on a regular siphon. Extra incentive to keep on maintenance :p

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
As S squint said hand pump. Or she can always use her mouth on a regular siphon. Extra incentive to keep on maintenance :p
Yeah this would be a great initiation ceremony to welcome her into the hobby. Her first tank vacuum and OOPS! A mouthful of axolotl crap!!!

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I appreciate the feed back... especially re the Eheim. I have always had good luck with Ehiem products and bad luck with Fluval products... but every product is unique and I don't weight my purchases 100% on brand loyalty.

By "hand pump" do you guys mean one of those rubber bulbs that you pump with your hand? To me a hand pump is permanently affixed to the ground and has a long handle you pump to bring water up from the well. o_O

Last edited:

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Could go ultra cheap old school on her and get one of these and a 5gal bucket (tho I think you may be the one to actually empty the bucket) 20181020_111253.jpg

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Could go ultra cheap old school on her and get one of these and a 5gal bucket (tho I think you may be the one to actually empty the bucket) View attachment 1340538
Her used 55g came with a siphon and a venturi. I promptly purchased 30' of vinyl tubing from HomeDepot to minimize the dependence on me for doing water changes (carrying the bucket). It works well for water changes but is pretty clumsy for a quick bottom cleaning.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Dont know if you use FX series of filters, but you can get a vac that uses the FX pump to do all the work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store