powerhead

Danno

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
England
will my fish benefit from having a strongish current flowing through my tank? ive bought a cheap powerhead with filter cannister just to get the water moving, but dont know wether its a good thing or a bad 'un....

cheers
Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tyjo1334

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2009
around the corner from the LFS
faster growth from consistant swimming which will burn the food they eat faster which means if you feed more times per day you will have a faster growth rate because you are speeding up their metabolism being that there is always a current for them to swim in. Hope that makes sense

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Danno

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
England
haha yeah i think im with you:)...do tigers come from flowing streams/rivers or slow calmer waters then? i thought the first.....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Extra current is always a great idea, for flowing debris into filter, for giving the fish exercise, breaking up aggression, extra agitation etc. Just aim it properly so its flowing with ur filter current.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't think they come from fast moving waters though they are said to move into deep water to breed.

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
when i first set up my tank i had 6 thin bar dats 3-4 inch in size... in a few months they were flashing a lot to the point of scratching their sides, and had cloudy bluish eyes... i treated with many meds, costing a small fortune, to no avail... then added a strong powerhead and all the problems dissapeared within a few weeks.... i have a rediculous amount of current in my 220 with 8 dats and they all seem to love it... magnum 8, magnum 5, another thats 1400 gph and the sump all going in 1 direction

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jhoonaun

Feeder Fish
Sep 21, 2011
KL
i realize the water circulation thing.. kinda works.. I have like 12 indo tigers in my tank 2" 4" and 6" mixed up... they stop scratching once i introduced the 2nd pump.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Well, this got me to thinking so I dug out an old powerhead that I had socked away. Put it in and my 6" Indo has now moved to that end of the tank and is staying right in front of the output. I don't remember (or care) what this powerhead is rated at, but he obviously likes it. He normally hung out at the other end of the tank. It also has got settled detritus stirred up so the filters can get it. Thanks for the idea. Think I will do a water change today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store