prairie dog in a large tank

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
this girl i am starting to see just got a prairie dog and i coincidentally was looking into getting one. her pitbull won't allow it in the house.

i read online that people have kept them in large tanks and that the majority of their teeth problems come from chewing cage bars.

if i set my 125 up and load it up with sand/aspen and a ton of hay(timothy and orchid) and make a natural setup....how would that be? i would use a desert background for the tank too.

also, should i light the tank? flourscent bulbs give off harmful rays to mammals so i am unsure.

also...my dog lives in the top apartment with my mom so i dont have to worry about her....

but my cat is about 8 months old. how likely is it i can get these two to become friends?

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
do they do well on their own? I would think they would be need to be kept in groups?

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
The local pet shop has one in a glass tank they just use a metal grate for the top as opposed to a glass top or something like that. He has been there for about 10 years by himself so I'd think it'd be fine, especially with out of cage time.

jartist15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2009
canada
If you are worried about ventilation problems just rig up a small fan up top to make sure there is a constant supply of fresh air, and I would say you could do this, just really look into terrain

latshki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
prince edward island, canada
prairie dogs make awesome little pets although I would not keep one in a glass cage, just becuse the pet store does doesn't make it ok
I would get a ferret cage and they do good in pairrs as they are very active and social

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
evilxyardxgnome;4505280; said:
Do you know they have kept it for 10 years or is this what they have said? Pet Stores workers lie just as bad as politicians.
I know the owner, have my entire life so I trust him. Not only that but I have been frequenting the place for at least 12 years (since he opened). I remember the day they got him in. I know 'just because the pet store does it doesn't make it right', but when the thing is happy and healthy and has been for 10, almost 11 years, I think it's okay. He gets a ton of out of cage time so he's not stuck there 24/7.

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
I was looking into getting one and the pet store said they only live for 5-6 years.
And like already posted, they need air, dry air.

rudukai13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Colorado
ar0king;4505951; said:
My brother and i used to trap them and eat them
Yeah, bbq that little rat up and go to town on his a...Wait, you're not looking for advice on how to prepare a small rodent for a meal? Weird...I wonder why ar0king gave this wonderfully helpful sampling of advice then...

Sounds like the owner of the pet shop could give you all the information you need on how to keep one happy. From the sounds of it though, just make sure it has the correct substrate, rig up a fan for air circulation, and make sure you get it out of the cage often enough. Oh, and as for getting it to be best of buds with your cat - I wouldn't try it. That doesn't mean though that it'd be impossible to still keep the prarie dog as a pet, just the same as people will quite often keep gerbils, guinae pigs, etc. in the same house as cats and dogs. They just make sure the animals don't get any un-supervised "play time".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store