Prazi for Anchor Worms ?

y26tan18

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Singapore
I've been reading up alot on the various threads involving Prazi and Anchor worms. So far they've been very conflicting with some folks saying its the best solution and others saying it doesnt work at all.

So does it ? or does it not ?

As currently, my armatus has anchor worms which sucks and I'm trying to find the best solution for it as I've been reading that armatus in general are very sensitive to medications.

Thanks in advance

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I bombed mine in 7 days, with sodium chlorite; (note, chlorite not chloride).

This is a pretty big decision though, as it killed all the bacteria in my tank; and melted my anubias plants. At the end of the 7 days I was reading high ammonia, HOWEVER; the parasite is gone.

It's just a really, really *hitty thing to have to deal with, as its an actual crustacean. If its a single fish tank, you may choose to simply tweezer the parasites off, however if its a community; I was paranoid about elminiating it entirely.

Then again, the armatus may just die if exposed to the chlorite, so might not be the best option :/

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Api general cure will work too.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Prazi is NOT effective fro treating Anchor worms.

Reactions: convict360

y26tan18

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Singapore
According to Hikari, Prazipro is not listed as one of the parasites it can treat.

http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/prazipro/

Hikari actually recommends Cyropro for anchor worms

http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/cyropro/
Api general cure will work too.
Prazi is NOT effective fro treating Anchor worms.
Thank you all. I'll get Cyropro then.

A strange observation though. The anchor worms seems to only attack my armatus with the others in the tank having no issues whatsoever. It would seems the armatus is stressed out but it's actually the kingpin in the tank

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
will not treat anchor worm

I would try to remove what you can by hand and then look for either lufenuron or diflubenzuron. I dont think you can get diflubeznuron in the US anymore and vet would have to compound lufenuron most likely. Then again you are not in the US

oh and Trichlorfon would work too

Reactions: y26tan18

y26tan18

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Singapore
slight update i couldnt find any of the above at my lfs. got this instead: 0921395001243418636.jpg

Doesnt state the ingredient but it does say its a very gentle formula.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
will not treat anchor worm

I would try to remove what you can by hand and then look for either lufenuron or diflubenzuron. I dont think you can get diflubeznuron in the US anymore and vet would have to compound lufenuron most likely. Then again you are not in the US

oh and Trichlorfon would work too
Tetra Parasite Guard has Dflubenzuron as one of the ingredients.

Reactions: y26tan18
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store