Predator fish for a 10 gallon aquarium

Benthebassmaster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2021
whst Is a fish that would eat live Minnows and could be in a 10 gallon tank. What would Ben the best option.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Pike minnow s(Belonesox belizanus) may fit the target. They will prey on fish smaller than themselves, and don't grow larger than 20-30mm.
They are mean, and mean-looking too! They will also breed relatively easy as they are live-bearers (some fry may survive if enough plants).

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
maybe you could try keeping a lurker pufferfish but your tank would be considered a little too small. killifish would be a good choice, high spot betta are some of the most predatory looking betta. stickleback can get very predatory and tear apart meaty foods like earthworms very aggressively and require very little as far as equipment. a pea puffer is also an obvious choice. the most predatory aquatic animal you could keep in a 10 gallon would be a budget frog/Freddy Kruger frog. you could keep some species of freshwater pipefish in a 10 gallon but this a very different type of predator and will require allot of special care and wont eat minnows. you could reasonably keep a juvenile african butterfly fish in a 10 gallon but id consider that a little unethical as they deserve atleast a 40 gallon when adults but they are pretty sedentary. my african butterfly fish is atleast 5” and has one of the strongest feeding responses of any of my fish, begs for food and has a massive mouth.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I thought they got to big for a 10 gallon tank
wayy too big idk what hes talking about the only pike minnow ik of that isnt a pike cichlid gets 8-12” if properly cared for. they are very active swimmers so if you even wanted to attempt them in a 10 gallon youd have to have pretty extreme flow so they’d happily swim in place.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
you can probably get a used 20 gal for like 10$ i just got one for free. unless your living space has tank size restrictions id just get a bigger tank because it would drastically increase your options and any “predator fish” would be much happier with more space. if youre committed to a 10 gallon id look for the most sedentary small predators. some fish sound like theyd fit in a smaller tank size but imo its very displeasing to watch a fish aggressively surf against the glass which is likely to happen in a 10 gallon.

Reactions: Matteus

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Any fish able to eat minnows, will be/get too big for a 10 gal.
maybe a single dragon puffer? (still too big but i think it could possibly work)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store