Predatory fish not being so predatory

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
so I have a 6in green sunfish and a 7in marbles goby in my 150 gallon aquarium. This wasn't the plan at first, but I have them with Acrossocheilus barb (6in), some garra species (3-6in), and many other fish. The only really small fish are 2 2in hoplo catfish and a 1in L170. I saw my sunfish yawn the other day and he could easily eat half the fish in there. All my fish eat krill, bloodorms, and other frozen food. Not sure why no one , except my Tbarb, don't eats silversides no matter what I do with them.

I feel like this is a blessing, but it just feels too weird

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I added feeder goldfish (3/4") and maybe 3 disappeared over a month
This is where I mention feeder goldfish are bad and kill your fish (thiaminase inhibitors among other things, probably one of the top reasons why fish like oscars die).

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I have 6 t barbs (spanner barbs) ranging from 4-6"... those bad boys will never let you down, I think they have teeth, mine tear up silversides and muscle like a pack of pirahna...
Your fish are well fed and lazy due to tank life, add 3 starve days a week if you wanna see natural behaviour.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
That's what I'm thinking. Aquarium life + they are pretty well fed is likely the cause

Would the risk of adding small fish without losing many be low? I'm looking at a couple of barbs and I'm not sure what size they are, but they get more than 4in (I'm looking at the genus, not the species)

I don't feed feeder fish really at all. I only use them as a "size test". I rarely ever use feeder goldfish and I quarantine them beforehand. the 27 went into my pond after the test. If I would ever use live feeders I would probably breed liveberers or something. Thankfully I have learned about feeder goldfish early in my 15 years in this hobby.

If I do end up getting more fish, would hiding spots increase their survival chance?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
That's what I'm thinking. Aquarium life + they are pretty well fed is likely the cause

Would the risk of adding small fish without losing many be low? I'm looking at a couple of barbs and I'm not sure what size they are, but they get more than 4in (I'm looking at the genus, not the species)

I don't feed feeder fish really at all. I only use them as a "size test". I rarely ever use feeder goldfish and I quarantine them beforehand. the 27 went into my pond after the test. If I would ever use live feeders I would probably breed liveberers or something. Thankfully I have learned about feeder goldfish early in my 15 years in this hobby.

If I do end up getting more fish, would hiding spots increase their survival chance?
Well obviously your going to need to separate the goby as he gets bigger, but once you do that then you can probably add the barbs

Reactions: Leo1234
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store