pregnant guppy

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Yah she's at least a week from dropping if not more by the looks of her. As for the stress issue, it doesnt matter if she'd been in there a day a week or a month, if she was in a relatively new setting it's going to stress her to be moved to a new one again so soon. It stresses a fish out when you move them regardless. If the net was small then there's even more stress from being in a confined space unable to reach members of her species.

bella535

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Wazzzzza
ok thanx that actually helped me alot......... now i know somewhat whats going on with her. ill let u know when she has them.

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
No problem at all. If you need any more advice on guppies let me know, I've had thousands of them :).

bella535

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Wazzzzza
the guppy just had her babies.......finally! my red molly and white molly also just had their babies this week so we have a bunch of babies.

nikochan--

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
ecuador!!
lol i did that once.... her belly was HUGE! and the next day he had the fry :D

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
Alistriwen;1434928; said:
The livebearer gravid spot is one of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of livebearer reproduction. If you try to judge pregnancy and such from gravid spots you will not have a lot of success with these fish. I can tell when my guppies are a day from giving birth with almost 100% accuracy without even looking at their gravid spots.

A gravid spot develops in juvenile females whether or not they've been fertilized yet. This dark patch is actually a mass of orange eggs but due to the colouration of the guppy often appears black or brownish. The gravid spot changing colour therefore, is a result of a change in colour on the guppy's part not anything going on with her offspring. If a fish changes colour and it isnt breeding time, chances are you've stressed it. You said you'd had this guppy a day before tossing it in a net and if that's the case 100% you've over stressed that fish. A new tank is stress enough for a fish without being tossed into a tiny net right away.

Size isnt neccessarily an indicator of pregnancy either. Shape is more important than a female's overall size. Sometimes a fish is just fat because it has eaten a lot and when you stress it all that was inside comes out. Once they get back to eating normally the weight usually comes back. Absorbing fry is a very uncommon occurence, far more so than most would lead you to believe. Unfortunately, if this does occur your fish will not just carry on normally in all likelihood. A fish that has absorbed fry often has serious problems later, including an inability to reproduce.
I agree 100% size and shape will indicate pregnacy or readiness to breed better than the gravid spot

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
bella535;1437495; said:

this female is not quite ready yet, but im sure you will know when she is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store