Pregnant histrix, finally

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
Near midnight yesterday the big one gave birth to this wonderful little female. I have been waiting for this moment for years and finally it happened. I am extremely excited!

The mother still have pups waiting to be born, so far this is the only one that have popped out. I have removed the pup from the main tank, and put her in a smaller tank with sand, roots and plants.

Just have to ask if i got this right,- the pup won`t eat the first 2-3 days after birth? But still i should give a little bit food to let them get a smell and maby a taste for it?

Here are two pictures of the 1. born,-

Histrix 16.11 (1).JPG

Look at that beauty, she reminds me of her mother when i bought her in Germany years ago, with the dark areas on her body.

Histrix 16.11 (2).JPG

And by the way the male got damn horney after she gave birth to this first one. He went crazy for a few min, but started to back off as the female began to poke him with her stinger.

Last edited:

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Near midnight yesterday the big one gave birth to this wonderful little female. I have been waiting for this moment for years and finally it happened. I am extremely excited!

The mother still have pups waiting to be born, so far this is the only one that have popped out. I have removed the pup from the main tank, and put her in a smaller tank with sand, roots and plants.

Just have to ask if i got this right,- the pup won`t eat the first 2-3 days after birth? But still i should give a little bit food to let them get a smell and maby a taste for it?

Here are two pictures of the 1. born,-

View attachment 1214349

Look at that beauty, she reminds me of her mother when i bought her in Germany years ago, with the dark areas on her body.

View attachment 1214350

And by the way the male got damn horney after she gave birth to this first one. He went crazy for a few min, but started to back off as the female began to poke him with her stinger.
Congrats

Reactions: Proximus

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Definitely top quality! Very nice! Congrats!

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
I do have a question now. The mother still got pups inside of her and it is now close to two days since she gave birth to this forst one. The male was bothering her so i removed him last night. I am getting worried there are some complications. Have anyone experienced this kind of birth-delay?

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
I do have a question now. The mother still got pups inside of her and it is now close to two days since she gave birth to this forst one. The male was bothering her so i removed him last night. I am getting worried there are some complications. Have anyone experienced this kind of birth-delay?
I was now informed that this is pretty normal.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Congrats! That is an amazing pup! Hope the others are just as nice.
As long as you are still seeing movement, she should be ok with the other pups.
As for feeding, I've had some of my hystrix pups go as long as a week without eating. They will when they are ready.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store