Prepping for and Surviving power outtages

Perentie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2010
QLD, Australia
I lost power last night for several hours. Every 20 mins i agitated the water with a whisk then moved the water around with my hand.

To keep the tank cool i simply floated a bottle of frozen water, i always have 2 bottles in the freezer.

After going thrue all that for several hours i decided its time i bought a couple of battery powered air pumps and spare batteries.

jdcampos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2010
Philippines
Learned a lot on this thread. Coming from a Third world country, we do not have power outages only when there is a big storm. We have brownouts for no reason at all. Because of this, we have a gasoline generator that only runs essentially the air pumps not all the filters and pumps in all the aquariums and ponds. With the air pumps running, I have had minimal loss of fish. If the power outage takes longer than a day, we monitor the ammonia levels of the tanks and ponds. We also keep enough gasoline to run our generators for atleast 7 days.

newtylerjh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2011
michigan
RadleyMiller;618656; said:
Can someone explain this sine wave thing in a more simplistic way? I understand trig, but not generators.
a sine wave is a smooth alternating signal its like turning a dimmer switch up and down a square wave is just on and off like a toggle switch and i dont know how to explaine a triangle wave but wikipedia probubly has a better explaination for what it is and how it does what it does but there all signals

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
Admittedly I haven't read every single post here so I may be repeating something.

The tornadoes in the SE USA this week brought memories back of when we had a bad one miss us by half a block. It was almost two weeks without power, and an apartment that wouldn't allow generators. Even if they were allowed, the area was banned for a few days due to natural gas leaks causing possible fires or worse.

Besides being prepared to keep your fish alive at home, consider finding a fish buddy close to you, but not too close, so you have a place to take your fish if needed. I was able to move my fish to a local pet shop and paid them $30 for a month of boarding for using 4 of their tanks. It was a lifesaver to my fish and a few other too. They ended up boarding quite a few fish including a koi that lost it's pond from the tornado and quite a few scales and half a tail. It may not be the most important thing needing done after a bad storm, but it may help soemone worry just a little less. Please check on your friends in the SE USA.

mjuniorc

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Fish Room
WoW.. Very good read. Thanks everyone.

mobilenetmomma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2011
ohio
The knowledge available here never ceases to amaze me! Thank you all from me and my fish for your time and thoughts.....

ahrealmonsters

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2011
Las Vegas
Great advice! thank you for all the info! I just experienced an outage last week, and I was in panic, but good thing the power came back on within the hour, but now I ahve all of this info, so a big Thank you for the info!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store