Prepping for and Surviving power outtages

ChileRelleno

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
Mobile, AL
Oddball;618874; said:
Years ago (I don't want to say how many), We used to aerate tanks, during power outages, with truck inner tubes like the ones you go tubing down the river in. They can be filled with a bicycle pump so, you can use them over and over again in a blackout.
We'd fill the tubes then connect them to a home-made manifold (stainless steel pipe. Today...PVC can be used). A basketball inflation needle valve would be mounted to the tube's valve stem. A short collar of rubber hose connects the tube valve stem to the manifold with hose clamps holding the tube to the manifold. The hose was cut so that the needle valve presses against the inner wall of the steel pipe to start the air flow. Several smaller pipes T off the manifold with aquarium airline tubing and air regulator valves mounted along the airline tubing. The terminal ends of the tubing are then connected to airstones or corner filters to aerate the tanks until the power is restored.
Heating the tanks was accomplished with coleman lanterns lit off under the tanks. They were not that efficient but, they slowed down the rate the tanks cooled off.
Nice anecdotal story:headbang2
Ya old fart:ROFL: (J/K) I ain't old, but I ain't young either ;)

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
Oddball;618874; said:
Years ago (I don't want to say how many), We used to aerate tanks, during power outages, with truck inner tubes like the ones you go tubing down the river in. They can be filled with a bicycle pump so, you can use them over and over again in a blackout.
We'd fill the tubes then connect them to a home-made manifold (stainless steel pipe. Today...PVC can be used). A basketball inflation needle valve would be mounted to the tube's valve stem. A short collar of rubber hose connects the tube valve stem to the manifold with hose clamps holding the tube to the manifold. The hose was cut so that the needle valve presses against the inner wall of the steel pipe to start the air flow. Several smaller pipes T off the manifold with aquarium airline tubing and air regulator valves mounted along the airline tubing. The terminal ends of the tubing are then connected to airstones or corner filters to aerate the tanks until the power is restored.
Heating the tanks was accomplished with coleman lanterns lit off under the tanks. They were not that efficient but, they slowed down the rate the tanks cooled off.

Hey if it worked....rock on!!!!.........and i am sure you fish loved ya for it!!!:)

Sham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2006
Townsville Australia
Has anyone tried a small 12v boat bilge pump for keeping the filter system flowing during a power outage? Could be hooked up to a car battery easily enough and if the battery is still in the car start the engine once in a while to get the battery back up to charge.
Think I ll look into this one for my own use as I have 3 cars and enough wire to run straight to the big tank Im building. Its coming into cyclone season here best to be prepared .
Thanks for bringing this to my attention :)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Before I bought the emergency generator, I used a power converter to switch my truck's DC power to useable AC power. The output went to a UPS/Surge protector module (1800watts). I then plugged my main hatchery equipment to the UPS. I didn't have heat but, then again, it takes a long time to cool down 100 tanks in the same room. I ran my main blower and a couple of large tank sump pumps off the truck this way. The only drawback was that I had to be home to do this. Now, with the automatic natural gas/LP gas backup generator, everything switches over automatically within 7 seconds of a power loss. A couple of critical priming pumps are maintained on UPS so they don't lose siphon during those 7 seconds of switch-over.

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
A system that would keep your fish tank blowers, heaters and cannisters running for 8 hour power failures would cost new, $1,200 Canadian.
It comprises of 8 marine deep cycle storage batteries, a 1.2kW inverter, a 12 volt trickle charger, and the associated controls for switching over when house power fails.
These are all off the shelf items at the local DIY store.
If you decide to eliminate heating yor tanks then thge same system could provide power for several days.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
gr8 info, this should be a sticky!

pammy

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2005
FLORIDA
As an hobbyist who lost 36 tanks of fish including 12 inch plus groupers i had for more than 10 years, I am always prepared now for freaks of nature such as Hurricane Charlie which left us without electricity for more than 2 weeks.

I now do 50% water changes on every tanl in the 24 hours before an exprected storm. I also collect and treat 3 fifty gallon containers of water for aquarium use.

I now stop feeding 24 hours before an expected storm

I now go through every tank and remove all non-essential electrical devices before attaching labeled electrical cords to a fish room dedicated generator. I have another one to run essential functions in the house.

Last time we had an alert we were spared as Wilma travel south of us, but I had Trimac fry shortly after the large water changes!

pammy

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2005
FLORIDA
Gasoline generators are the way to go. They are about 500 dollars (tax free during the week before hurricane season). I made sure I got one that only has to be filled with fuel every 24 hours. Remember they must be outside during operation--they produce carbon monoxide which can kill you and your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store