Prepping for and Surviving power outtages

Oscar1222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oscar I would definitely test it. My generator was also a Generac 5500. I bought it brand new. I ran it the last year but never tested the power output. I just saw that it ran but that's it. Definitely test it.
I'll do that this weekend. Just got the damn thing. Its still in the box.

Sir Speedy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
Florida
Oscar I’m glad I to hear that it worked. I too live in Florida and I hope I won’t need mine any time soon

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
I have solar/generators/battery backups on my building but was wondering how much fuel you guys store in the event of an emergency?

Reactions: Oscar1222

Oscar1222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
I have solar/generators/battery backups on my building but was wondering how much fuel you guys store in the event of an emergency?
I don't like storing gas. If - there is a hurricane approaching we get plenty of warning and I go fill up my six five gallon cans and my cars. I have a transfer pump to draw from my cars if need be. For power outages non weather related - you can always find a station open in another part of the power grid in that is not affected in Tampa Bay.

After Irma - the power was only out 4 days - and that is the worst I have ever seen around here and it was not that bad truth be told - for my area.

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
I don't like storing gas. If - there is a hurricane approaching we get plenty of warning and I go fill up my six five gallon cans and my cars. I have a transfer pump to draw from my cars if need be. For power outages non weather related - you can always find a station open in another part of the power grid in that is not affected in Tampa Bay.

After Irma - the power was only out 4 days - and that is the worst I have ever seen around here and it was not that bad truth be told - for my area.
I am not a huge fan of it either, but I have a 100kw generator and can easily go through 30+ gallons a day when I run generator/solar only. Not really an option to just go to a gas station.

In addition, your big concern is hurricane, mine is earthquake and to a lesser extent fire, which has the very real potential of cutting me off from fuel for a longer period of time without warning.

At the moment I have a 250 gallon storage tank tied into it that stays 1/2-3/4 full and is also used to fuel my truck. I am not completely happy with the length of time I will be able to go without power. Considering doing an in-ground 500 gallon tank with a built in filter/cone bottom to remove water and adding in that DOD fuel foam that's supposed to keep it good for 10 years.

Reactions: Oscar1222
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store