Prepping for and Surviving power outtages

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
One option is a tri-fuel generator. Propane will store indefinitely, unlike gas, and requires no electricity. Natural gas supply to your home is likely to still be available without electricity.

Reactions: NathanKS

s cal

Feeder Fish
Jul 5, 2017
I get power outages many times in my area. what works for me is each aquarium has a sponge filter somewhere in the tank and when the outage occurs, I hook up a battery powered air pump to the sponge filter and I've never lost a fish because of this.

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
Update: my tanks were able to survive 9 days without power at the end of July due to wildfire. A local Animal rescue let me in on the 5th day to refill the gas tank which had about 40 gallons left.

I have since switched to a tri-fuel generator and buried two 250 gallon gas tanks 5' underground.

TacoRolla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Calgary
Great discussion!very helpful in my area as power outages are a common thing in the winter!
Thanks guys

Napkin Engineer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2018
Update: my tanks were able to survive 9 days without power at the end of July due to wildfire. A local Animal rescue let me in on the 5th day to refill the gas tank which had about 40 gallons left.

I have since switched to a tri-fuel generator and buried two 250 gallon gas tanks 5' underground.
That's intense. Which tri-fuel generator do you use?

What about airstones with neodymium magnets epoxied to one side attached to a magnetic bar - which is an electromagnet: it's a coil of wire around an iron rod and the magnetic force can be turned on by applying current through the coil, and off. When the power's on, the magnetic bar holds all the airstones above every tank because it's attached to the power bar and a few hundred milliamps are energizing the magnet (NC). When/if the power goes off, the bar get's denergized, and drop the magnet which drops the stone into the tank. At the exact same time, an NO solenoid valve attached to a line to a 50 gallon tank of liquid oxygen and the valve opens. Pure O2 passes through the airlines at a rate so the 50 gal tank is depleted in two weeks, and into the airstones. The airstones could also be the same stones used inside custom sponge filter, and a check -Y-valve flips over to let the O2 in if pressure from the air compressor ever stops.

I guess I started that as a question? I heard of something like this somewhere.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Bump for our FL members, hope y’all stay safe!

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Just ran across this thread ...just survived a recent 3 day outage nightmare. Wanna add a couple of things. 1st of all if you live in crowded neighborhood and are planning a generator...get a inverter generator ..they are alot quieter to run and will not bother your neighbors when running at night and also output clean power especially for electronic devices. 2nd i suggest for those who have already bought the generator in preparation for an outage...do run and test the output as well as there is a break in period on new generators if you want them to last. And 3rd...for those who wanna go the battery charger/inverter route ...air pumps dont use much power ...heat loss for cold climates is your enemy. An easy way to determine how much wattage and amp hour time your particular system will require is to buy a cheap device called a killawatt meter. For 20 bucks or less you can plug this device in line with your tanks power strip and view how much wattage you are using as well as how much you are comsuming per hour. This will help you determine how big of an inverter to buy as well as how many batteries you will need. And yes a pure sine wave inverter will definitely be needed if you are planning on running heat...they can generate alot more power than a traditional inverter that is alot bigger ( size wise)..hope this helps

Reactions: islandguy11

JuiceboxRx7

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Pa
I use a rigid 10000 starting /8000 running watt generator .....when the power goes out it runs my house with 17 tanks all with heaters and filters....i would definitely do a test to see what the maximum wattage u need then surpass that by 25% in my opinion....hope this helped a bit..good luck to everyone that deals with outages

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store