Preserving fish

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Fabio's Dad;875647; said:
I use 70% for all sorts of things like spiders, fw fish, midgets. But I've never been successfull with sw fish with that method.
SW fish are best preserved using the gradual alcohol fix method or using 10% formalin then an Alcohol final as Anne said....If you just drop them directly in 70% it will not fix the tissues and preserve the fish.

FW fish you can get away with just dropping direct into 70% or 80% ethanol but it fixes best and you get better results using the gradual method.

ani-mal-lvr

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
NAWTHWOODS, WI.
This is what I found awhile back....

Alcohol.--Without doubt the most indispensable liquid is alcohol. For the preparation and preservation of delicate, transparent animals it is necessary to use purified spirit which has been filtered and diluted with distilled water. For coarser animals ordinary alcohol may be used, if desired, even that which has been obtained by redistilling what has once been used being available, care being exercised to see that acids and alkalies have been neutralized. The station always has on hand a quantity of alcohol of 70 per cent strength, which is what is ordinarily used for preserving animals, that of 90 per cent being used only in special cases. By mixing the alcohol and water somewhat in advance of actual need one avoids the innumerable bubbles of air which form on the surface of an animal when immersed in freshly diluted alcohol. Soft or gelatinous animals must be allowed to remain from two to six hours in alcohol of 35 to 50 per cent, according to their consistency, and then be transferred to that of 60 per cent, and afterwards to that of 70 per cent. If the preparations are too delicate to bear handling, the transfer may be made by pouring off the liquid and adding the proper amount of alcohol to make a 35 per cent solution, continuing the process until the standard strength is attained. When necessary to avoid disturbing the animal at all a siphon may be used in effecting the transfer. Frequently it is necessary to change the alcohol after a few days, on account of discoloration. Some forms are immersed directly in 70 per cent alcohol, the liquid being changed after a few days. Changes should be made until the alcohol remains colorless. When an animal which has been in alcohol is transferred to that which is stronger, it is necessary to agitate the jar from time to time to avoid the formation of a layer of weaker alcohol on the bottom.[/QUOTE]

Found here-->http://www.mbl.edu/BiologicalBulleti...l-pp11-50.html

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
thanks for everyones imputs.
I have a couple more questions (and i am wondering for freshwater fish)
Beblondie, you mentioned cutting the fish open a bit... what are the pros to doing that and is it necessary?
Doing it over a period of time instead of just dropping it in, do you gradually change water:alcohol ratios over time, or is it just changing the alcohol solution over time?
Also found that some people add 10% glycerine to the alcohol mix- why?
cheers again.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
and also, how come this was moved into the filration and set up section. mind you, i suppose it is a set up... for dead fish. a bump anyway.

ssmith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
wilmington, NC
I usually soak the specimen in a formalin solution for 2 weeks or so, then into alcohol. I was told that this step is necessary to preserve the bone, where as straight alcohol will dissolve bone, and therefore deform your specimen. I believe it was my college ichthy prof a few years ago who told me that.
However I have preserved every fish that has died in my home tanks for the past year in over the counter rubbing alcohol and clear corona bottles that I recap. It has worked so far, but again its prob not best for long term storage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store