Pressurized CO2 Injection - 101

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
here's the regulator i ordered a few days ago. all this with one of best needle valves on the market for $250 shipped (www.sumoregulator.com) GLA's equivalent is the 'Supreme' regulator. it has a metal body and Ideal needle valve as well, but costs $299 + shipping.

Sumo's Premier regulator, $250 shipped
wCaddillac+Rig.jpg

Green Leaf Aquariums' Supreme regulator, $299 + shipping
supreme-co2-regulator_zm.jpg

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
from my old thread, here's the CO2 reactor i made, based off the Rex Grigg design...

just wanted to show you how i made my version of Rex's DIY co2 reactor found here http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm

The one thing I didnt like about the overall design was how the co2 line was simply drilled into the pipe and fished through. i like my setups to be essentially bullet proof, and this didnt seem like it would hold up well and i didnt want to have to deal with any leaks. the overall design is the same with the exception of where the co2 enters the reactor.

here's what i did. here you can see a pic of the fitting where the co2 line will be attached to

this makes for a clean design, but the problem is, as Rex stated, that by insterting the co2 at the edge of the pvc piping, the co2 bubbles will have a tendency to run along the side of the pipe, avoiding the incoming water and will not get dissolved proplerly. so, what i did was add another fitting on the inside of the pvc fitting. thing is, you cant thread a fitting in from the inside. SO, i filed down the threads from the inside and forced in the plastic fitting you see here (1/4" barbed fitting).

this fitting is fitted with a piece of rigid plastic tubing that stops about halfway into the tee. here you can see the reducer fitting with barb fitting placed into the tee connector. the co2 will exit in the middle of the reactor and meet the incoming water to get dissolved effectively.

to avoid any leaks, i sealed the whole inside of the reducer fitting with silicone

here's a pic of the tee connector with the reducer fitting and the barbed connectors

and here's the completed assembly, in the cabinet. let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions!!

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
So your saying that i should spend a fair amount of money on the regulator and piece together everything else? Would you recomend the Fabco NV-55 or the Premier regulator from Sumo, being the one that you bought. I want to do this without spending a huge amount of money but getting good quality equipment.

So for your reactore that you built the water movement is enough to dissolve the Co2 effectively? or is there something else in it?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Tropicalfishking;4282508;4282508 said:
So your saying that i should spend a fair amount of money on the regulator and piece together everything else? Would you recomend the Fabco NV-55 or the Premier regulator from Sumo, being the one that you bought. I want to do this without spending a huge amount of money but getting good quality equipment.

So for your reactore that you built the water movement is enough to dissolve the Co2 effectively? or is there something else in it?
well it's two different things that youre talking about here; the Fabco NV-55 is a needle valve, the 'Premier' regulator is a setup that Sumo sells. The Premier reg from Sumo comes with an Ideal needle valve. the Ideal needle valve is much better than the Fabco NV-55 needle valve.

youll see that green leaf's mid-priced regulators come with the Fabco NV-55 needle valve, and the most expensive regs use the Ideal needle valve. For less money, Sumo gives you the Ideal needle valve as well.

If you dont want to spend that much, green leaf's 'Choice' regulator is a good choice as well. It's $185 and i used this one in my old setup with no problems. granted the needle valve isnt as solid and precise as an Ideal, but it's a good setup nonetheless.

as for the reactor, it's plumbed inline with your filter/pump's outlet. the clean water coming from the filter enters the reactor at the top, travels down through the reactor, and into the tank's return. the co2 enters the reactor in the middle and as the bubbles try to travel up, theyre mixed with the downward travelling water and will diffuse as they get churned up. it's really the best and cheapest method for difussing co2 at the moment.

in my old setup i had the reactor plumbed inline with a Cascade 1500 filter. these arent the strongest filters on the market and the flow was still enough to properly diffuse the co2. i had no problems achieving 30ppm+ of co2...

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
The diffuser makes sense now, thats kinda how I have my diffuser set up now only with a power head. I will do some reasurch on GLA Choice regulator and go from there. Thank you very much for your time with answering my questions!

It seems like the only "bad" thing I could find was that you have to use a screw driver to adjust the Co2 flow with the Choice Co2 Regulator. I think that I will go with this one when I decide to take the plunge into Co2.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Tropicalfishking;4282762;4282762 said:
The diffuser makes sense now, thats kinda how I have my diffuser set up now only with a power head. I will do some reasurch on GLA Choice regulator and go from there. Thank you very much for your time with answering my questions!

It seems like the only "bad" thing I could find was that you have to use a screw driver to adjust the Co2 flow with the Choice Co2 Regulator. I think that I will go with this one when I decide to take the plunge into Co2.
yeah, having to use the screwdriver isnt too fun. this is why i decided to go with a metal-bodied regulator this time that has a handle on it. but then again, you usually never mess with the dial. this is to adjust your working pressure. you set it once, and dont mess with it again until you refill the tank. the needle valve is the one that gets fine-tuned a lot.

good luck and let me know how it goes :cheers:

Myarbro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Memphis TN

Toxic Fish 9999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2009
WI
Can you stop posting. Every time you do it is some thing awesome!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Toxic Fish 9999;4283885;4283885 said:
Can you stop posting. Every time you do it is some thing awesome!
you know how i do :headbang2

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Myarbro;4283879;4283879 said:
I really found this Co2 write up very informative. Just wanted your oppinion on something.

Do you think this system is of decent value?
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...35&pcatid=9935

If not, I could always go out and buy something like this.
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...o2-system.html

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
links werent working, so here they are again. discussion to follow :)

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9935&pcatid=9935

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/complete-co2-systems/primo-co2-system.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store