Pressurized CO2 Injection - 101

Bhack91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
Florida
I have a few questions about the pressurized co2 system. First off how dangerous is having a large pressurized tank of co2 in the house? Then where is a good place to look up for refilling your tank on a regular basis? Im finishing up my 120g setup and Im debating wether I am going to go with pressurized co2 or not. I would like to keep the price for the setup around 200-250 dollars if possible, and wanted to know if there is any premade setups in that range you would reccomend? If not maybe a general list/makeup of a diy parts you would use.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I got a really nice full setup from a fellow MFKer for $80. Try the marketplace. I think a legit pressurized co2 tank is pretty safe--they use them for soda fountains in almost every restaurant across the country, and when is the last time you heard of a deadly explosion at your local Denny's?

On that note, a good place to refill your co2 is local restaurant beverage suppliers.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Jose, great work on the thread. I learned a ton. I posted last week about this cyano bacteria and you guys mentioned it could be excess nutrients or too little CO2. I have had a Red Sea kit laying around for a long time and thought aboutgetting it started up. I understand it isnt a good kit but will it work until I can save up for a more quality one? After reading your article Im concerned about the needle valve not being accurate and overdosing the fish. Thanks again for your help, been asking you a ton of questions.

plantbrain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
CA
Jose is a local club member and nice guy, CO2 is the critical issue for many people considering plants, if you decide that it is your goal, then learn as much as you can about it. Ferts and light will not kill your fish..........CO2 can.... if not used correctly. It is wise to go with high grade equipment for CO2.

plantbrain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
CA
is there a diference between diy co2 and pressurized? i have always used diy co2 setups
Canned gas is like sliced bread, it's a hugely better way to go, but many are timid to make the jump, I was myself for a long time.
You have more risk if you just keep crankign the CO2 with gas tanks, eg, easy to kill/stress fish, but once set up correctly, you do not have to fiddle with for a very long time.

If you ask those that have made the switch, they only wish they would have done the switch sooner, worth every penny etc.

octavusprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
sacramento
I completely agree with plantbrain. I was very hesitant to add gas. I had some wild misconceptions about CO2 and the effects on my fish and the danger of gassing. My large fish are not effected by the high CO2 levels and I have confidence that my equipment has the proper fail safes to protect from gassing the fish.

The single most important thing imo to aquascaping success and great plant health is proper Co2 levels.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Question. Today my bubbles were way high, something like 5bps I couldn't even count and it WAS set at approximately 1.5bps.

Setup as follows: 5lbs Co2 tank(full)>2 stage regulator>Milwaukee solenoid>bubble counter>check valve>red sea needle valve>DIY reactor.

Why and how did this fluctuate? My low pressure guage reads a pinch over zero (maybe .5psi) so my needle valve is about 75% open, I saw some info that says the low side should be a minimum of 5psi so I upped the low to 5psi and dialed my needle valve to 1.5bps and it held steady for an hour, also turned solenoid on and off a few time's with intermittent gaps and it held Steady.

Is it because the low side psi was next to not? Its happened a few times in the past but usually its slowed down, not sped up.....

Thanks for your help

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store