Prime vs. AquaSafe

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Which is the better water conditioner and why? Can I use the two products in conjunction with each other?

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Prime was recommended to me once. I have had zero losses since I started using it. My water changes used to be drawn out, messy and tiresome. Now, I pour in a few capfuls and fill right out of the tap. I do that in every tank including the nursery and brackish water set up. Again, zero losses.

I don't know about AquaSafe. I haven't used it and most likely won't. I keep a couple of small bottles of Prime on hand just in case I run out of my bigger bottle.

dadfish123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
redwoodcity
I use Jungles Start Right nice and it helps fish with deseases.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
I don't know about aquasafe, but here's how it goes for Prime.

Dechlorinates instantly.
1ml = 10 gallons of treated water
1 capful (which is 5ml) = 50 gallons of treated water
which comes down to about a drop per gallon.

It breaks the chloramine up into chlorine and ammonia, and detoxifies the ammonia. (Chloramine is what most municipalities use to treat their water now, so "aging" water will not work, chloramine persists in water for weeks.)
Very useful, and very cheap when worked out gallons treated per money spent.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Prime > aquasafe. Or anything else for that matter. Super concentrated, works, no reason to use anything else.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Most MFK members swear by Prime.

tdkee1

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
West Coast
aquasafe says it neutralizes heavy metals also. i dont think prime does. not a big deal for me. Ill still always use prime.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
tdkee1;4827411; said:
aquasafe says it neutralizes heavy metals also. i dont think prime does. not a big deal for me. Ill still always use prime.
It is because Aquasafe neutralizes heavy metals and Prime does not that I created this thread. On the other hand, Prime works against ammonia and Aquasafe does not. I was wondering if the two can be used in concert in a large aquarium? Maybe do half the water change with Prime and the other half with Aquasafe. Will this work or will it hurt the fish?

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
From Seachem... It does "neutralize" heavy metals...

Prime
Product Description
Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime® is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime® will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

Sizes: 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2 L, 4 L, 20 L

Why It's Different
Nearly all companies manufacture a product that removes chlorine. None of those, however, can compare in quality, concentration, or effectiveness to Seachem’s flagship product: Prime®. Prime® is the second most concentrated dechlorinator on the market after our own aquavitro alpha™. A single 100 mL bottle will treat 1000 US gallons of tap water. Prime® will remove both chlorine and chloramines from municipal water supplies.

Prime® also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic. It is very important to understand how those two functions work together. All dechlorinators operate through a chemical process known as reduction. In this process, toxic dissolved chlorine gas (Cl2) is converted into non-toxic chloride ions (Cl-). The reduction process also breaks the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH2Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH3).

Typically, dechlorinators stop there, leaving an aquarium full of toxic ammonia! Seachem takes the necessary next step by including an ammonia binder to detoxify the ammonia produced in the reduction process.

Be very careful when purchasing water conditioners. If your municipality includes chloramines in the water supplies, a standard sodium thiosulfate dechlorinator is not enough. Prime® promotes the natural production and restoration of the slime coat rather than relying on artificial or non-native slime compounds. A further bonus for the ref hobbyist—Prime® will not overactivate protein skimmers.

Directions
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

tdkee1

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
West Coast
thanks for posting that. for some reason they left that part out on the bottle. very good to know. prime really is some good stuff...how can anyone consider using anything else after reading that!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store