Priming and Water Changes on Eheim 1500XL Filter (Classic Range)

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
I'm currently looking at the Eheim 1500XL (the biggest classic) and the Eheim Pro 3 2080.

What I can't seem to figure out from my research, is how to prime and handled water changes in the classic filters?

Do they have valves included to keep water in the pipes once primed? And how do you prime them?

It seems like the Pro has everything, but a bit less power and more expensive.

Thanks.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You will have to double check on the Eheim 1500XL but it should come with the double tap valves which will allow you to turn them off when it's time to service the filter.

The instructions are a bit funky to decipher unless you are familiar with the Classic series filters but there are quite a few posts on both this forum and youtube videos.

What I do when initially priming the unplugged and empty filter is to open all the valves, remove the spray bar from the outlet hose and suck on the end of the hose briefly to allow water to start entering the filter. Be sure to keep the output hose end near the inside of the tank in case you get a blast of water. Once the water rises in the output hose near the tank rim, reconnect the spray bar and plug the mains into wall outlet.

After servicing the filter, raise the spray bar above the water surface temporarily, open the output hose and drain any water out of the section between the double tap valve and the tank rim into a bucket, connect and open ALL 4 Q.D. valves and allow the filter to fully fill with water. You should be able to see that the water has fully filled both the intake and output hoses and the water level in the tank has lowered. Put the spray bar back in its normal position and be sure the spray bar holes are directed into the tank and not pointing out of the tank. Plug the mains into the wall outlet and add water back into the aquarium.

Hope I didn't miss any steps. ?

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Thank you for your information. It is much appreciated.

The way I have my tank set up, it would be more or less impossible for me to be sucking on outlet hose. As would be removing and manipulating any pipework.

For that reason, I think I must go with a filter that has some kind of self priming. I think the other way to maybe do it is to fill the canister up before hand, then attach the pipes?

I've been trying to find out if the 1500XL comes with the double taps, as these are very, very expensive on their own (especially considering one, is the mega thick pipe). If it doesn't, I think I may be drawn more towards the Pro 3 range, for the above reasons also.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Is your tank hard plumbed? Is that why you wouldn't be able to use the method I suggested?

Even with a filter with a priming button, you will get much better results if the output lines are empty of water.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
The way I have my tank set up, it would be more or less impossible for me to be sucking on outlet hose. As would be removing and manipulating any pipework.
How are you planning to refill the tank? If you're refilling it from a hose it's probably easy enough to jam the hose against the outlet or intake to push water through the filter to get it primed.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I fill my Eheims canister prior to attaching the hoses after cleaning. Just use tank water. Works fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store