Professional Recommendation

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
1. Brachyplatystoma filamentosum
2. Brachyplatystoma juruense
3. Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii

Which one of these should I get? Already have fila, was thinking dorado but slow growth on the guy, afraid of him being eaten. Saw a juruense in one of the lfs here, quite skinny, probably 16". Wanna rescue him but I haven't had any experience in them, what will his behaviour in the 480.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The selfishness in me says dourada as I'd like to learn a lot more about them first and second hand.

But I really don't see a reason to choose. Why not get all?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Dourada would be my first choice since I already had a fila. Just my fila hasn't had a good snout, living in a 120g before the 720g upgrade. Wanted to redo the fila. If my fila continues to grow, in a few years he will outgrew the 720g. Can't house em all.

Juru are nice but he's in the shop for a long time. Too old of a fish, afraid he only had a few years left. Plus juru that size quite expensive.

Think gonna go with dourada, probably save some spaces for a long fime since they are slow grower. Was hoping living in a black water, he will turn golden like in the wild.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yea, that's consistent with my experience too. Our 1.5'-2' Suriname fila started to damage its snout too in a 240 gal 8x2x2. So had to go into 4500 gal.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Think gonna go with dourada, probably save some spaces for a long time since they are slow grower. Was hoping living in a black water, he will turn golden like in the wild.
They don't have to have black water to get the golden color. I've caught them in normal/muddier water where they had the golden color in Suriname. If you guys want I can spam a ton of pics a friend sent me from down there last week. Probably 15-20 mature Dourada for your viewing pleasure :)

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
amazonfishman amazonfishman just wanna test it out. Not a lot of monster size in aquarists hands that I can refer to. Mostly silver or some shines of black purple & green. None are golden. Would expect that either their golden colour comes from foods or water.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store