Project L236

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I seem to have fallen in love with plecos ? my what an expensive habit that is turning out to be.

my next project will be L236’s regular or basics, I’m still not sure of the terms used. They are not the RB super white line that everyone wants but they are still another of my dream pleco.

I will be picking up a group of 6 in the next few weeks.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Plecos are an oddly expensive group of fish which are easy to get addicted to. Your first mistake was getting into fish keeping if you wanted to have any money :naughty:.

Cant wait to hear,keep us updated.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Plecos are an oddly expensive group of fish which are easy to get addicted to. Your first mistake was getting into fish keeping if you wanted to have any money :naughty:.

Cant wait to hear,keep us updated.
This is all true!! Shame on the aquarium makers that they don’t putting warnings on the tanks!
I absolutely will keep this updated!!

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
I understand your pending addiction to B&W patterned plecos, especially the Hypans from the Rio Xungu. I have two breeding groups of 236, one is the RB line I acquired years ago (it has a guaranteed accurate sourcing back to RB). I also have a group of RB superwhites I have been growing out for about 16 months. I have just begun to see trappings but not eggs yet, soon. I also have two breeding groups of L173 (one I believe are wild caught fish).

I started with breeding zebras in Apr. 2006. They made all of the above possible. I still have most of my original group plus a few of their kids and then a few replacements purchased over the years. Last March I was able to procure another group pf 25 which were farm raised in Indonesia. They are now spawning so is my original group (as far as I can tell). I have also had. but no longer keep, L450, H. contradens and P. compta.

Watch the site classifieds as I am about to start listing fish in May. I stopped selling fish due to Covid. I was a tripple threat to die if infected. I am now as fully protected as possible having had two weeks pass since my second Pfizer jab. I am no longer a hermit and am in the process of following a path I started down 18 months ago to be down to 1 or no tanks by the beginning of spring of 2024 when I will turn 76. I am not on social media and i sell on a few forums and by word of mouth. Some of this makes it to social media, I think.

If you need any help when you get your 236, I am happy to help where I can.

Last edited:

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I understand your pending addiction to B&W patterned plecos, especially the Hypans from the Rio Xungu. I have two breeding groups of 236, one is the RB line I acquired years ago (it has a guaranteed accurate sourcing back to RB). I also have a group of RB superwhites I have been growing out for about 16 months. I have just begun to see trappings but not eggs yet, soon. I also have two breeding groups of L173 (one I believe are wild caught fish).

I started with breeding zebras in Apr. 2006. They made all of the above possible. I still have most of my original group plus a few of their kids and then a few replacements purchased over the years. Last March I was able to procure another group pf 25 which were farm raised in Indonesia. They are now spawning so is my original group (as far as I can tell). I have also had. but no longer keep, L450, H. contradens and P. compta.

Watch the site classifieds as I am about to start listing fish in May. I stopped selling fish due to Covid. I was a tripple threat to die if infected. I am now as fully protected as possible having had two weeks pass since my second Pfizer jab. I am no longer a hermit and am in the process of following a path I started down 18 months ago to be down to 1 or no tanks by the beginning of spring of 2024 when I will turn 76. I am not on social media and i sell on a few forums and by word of mouth. Some of this makes it to social media, I think.

It’s no longer a pending addiction lol but your right with loving the black and white hypans! They are my favourites.

Some day I hope to be able to own as many as your self!
I would watch the classified but it really wouldn’t matter to myself as I’m in Canada :-(

I would love to have you help me when they arrive with any questions I’m sure to have

stillsirpaul

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2021
New Jersey

TwoTankAmin,

Congratulations on no longer being a hermit! I too got the second Pfizer shot this month... really hit me like a truck, hope you had a better result - lots of fever/chills/aches over here -- still glad I got it though. I'm also interested in the B/W plecos and am definitely thinking about again setting up a dedicated tank for breeding some of these, although not sure if I'd prefer L46/L236/L173 -- would be interested in your comparison of the three. I had a tank of zebras that I was growing out 5-10 years ago but sadly fell victim to my heaters malfunction (expensive lesson that won't be happening again!). I'm in NJ right near the NY border so I imagine you wouldn't be a terribly long drive -- please keep me posted if you're looking to move some plecs, or I can send you a PM if that's easier.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
not sure if I'd prefer L46/L236/L173 -- would be interested in your comparison of the three
I am not sure if I should anser that in this thread which would be diverting from the the discussion of the Niki_up intended who started the thread. If Niki doesn't object, I will answer here. Otherwise I can make another thread in the Pleco sub forum.

Re the Pfizer shots, all I had was a sore arm both times. It was the same for the Flu shot last fall.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I am not sure if I should anser that in this thread which would be diverting from the the discussion of the Niki_up intended who started the thread. If Niki doesn't object, I will answer here. Otherwise I can make another thread in the Pleco sub forum.

Re the Pfizer shots, all I had was a sore arm both times. It was the same for the Flu shot last fall.
Oh please do go ahead!!
This thread will be a little slow until they come in ahah. And it’s great to have relevant information ie the comparisons of different plecos...and I’m interested in the answer too as I also like the hypans ☺

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Niki_up Niki_up TwoTankAmin TwoTankAmin is someone that I consider a legend in the hobby, right up there with rd and thebiggerthebetter, any input he has is worth its weight in gold I’d say.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Niki_up Niki_up TwoTankAmin TwoTankAmin is someone that I consider a legend in the hobby, right up there with rd and thebiggerthebetter, any input he has is worth its weight in gold I’d say.
That is quite flattering ☺ Thank you

I would happily tip my hat to twotankamin with all his years of experience! I have yet to even raise these plecos successfully let alone breed them hah

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store