Proper method of introducing a new filter

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
My 45 gallon tank is currently filtered by 2 old box filters one rated for 45 gallons and the other rated for 20 gallons, and while these are working okay now i only have a couple media changes left and im not sure if i'll be able to find new filter pads for them (we've had these filters since i was maybe 7-8 years old, they weren't new then, and i turn 20 in january). I'm considering buying either an emperor 280 or 400 biowheel near christmas to replace these old filters, but I was wondering if anybody can tell me what the best way to change the filters out would be because of the beneficial bacteria built up in the other filters? I know there would still be a lot of bacteria built up on the plants/gravel/decor etc but what would be the best way to change them out without having to entirely cycle the new filter to get a build up of beneficial bacteria? I'm not sure if i'm wording this correctly but if anybody knows what I'm asking I would appreciate your knowledge of the subject.

jdm_da510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2010
everywhere
you could replace the 20g rated filter with a new one but still leave the 45g there for 2 weeks while you bb bulids up in your new filter....just one idea

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
true.. the only problem with that is I have 2 homemade plexiglass beams going across the tank to make sure that the light or glass doesn't get knocked in, so i wouldnt have enough room for both filters particularly if i got the 400, maybe I could put the filter on the opposite side of the tank while it got going however and just have an incredibly incredibly clean tank for a couple weeks, haha (not that i don't keep the quality good now)

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
You can place the biowheel inside your tank while still running your existing filters.

sizors

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Orlando / Casselberry FL
if you are looking to get a new one, go with the aquaclear filters, the bigger the better.

jdm_da510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2010
everywhere
i agree..i never really was a big fan of marineland..go for AC 110 i got mine for $75..

sizors;4557566; said:
if you are looking to get a new one, go with the aquaclear filters, the bigger the better.

dannieman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
SoCal
i dont have much experience with emperor filters but with the ac110 you can put both the new media and the old media inside the ac110 which will help the new media build bb. i was able to do this when i bought some ac110s off another member. there was enough room in the filter to put the sponge, ceramic rings, and the ceramic rings off my old filter into the ac110

EOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
Wheeler AAF, Hawaii
Pic of an AC110? Speaking of putting filter media in HOB filters, I got tired of buying expensive premade filters for my HOB so I bought filter socks and filled them with carbon and pillow stuffing and the blue sponge material some filters are made of. Bad idea?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store