Pseudetroplus [formerly Etroplus] maculatus 'Gold'

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
These are not actually Madagascan but always get lumped into the Madagascan category as an "other." Etroplus are the only cichlids endemic to India and Sri Lanka. A paper in 2014 reclassified E. maculatus as Pseudetroplus maculatus.

The wild color form of these fish is basically non-existent in the US hobby from what I can tell. There is a bright yellow-gold aquarium morph that was extremely common in the hobby when I was a kid, in the mid 90s. You could find them in most stores and also in books and magazines. Those seemed to disappear over the last 20 years, too. Luckily Jeff Michels at Aquaticclarity placed an order for Czech-bred fish and these were on the list, so I pre-ordered ten.

I picked up the group at the airport on July 22 and tanked them around 10pm. The next day by 2pm I had a pair starting to form.

After eight days of shimmying, dancing, cleaning potential spawning sites, and chasing their tankmates, I came home to a clutch of green eggs yesterday. Unlike the New World and West African cichlids that I usually work with, these fish tether their eggs to the spawning site by a short filament, allowing the eggs to sway in the current. For this and many other reasons, including shape, color, and behavior, they feel a lot more like saltwater fish than a cichlid. They are found in brackish water in their native range, so perhaps this is why.

I would love to eventually get my hands on the wild color form of these fish. I know that Jim Cumming maintains a pair in Canada; the trick is getting them exported here, especially with everything shut down at the border due to COVID-19. Until then, I will be glad that I finally found the gold morph and that it's not completely lost to the hobby.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Great report. Nice to see that they still have fans.

They are one of my favourites.
After a long search I got a wild caught pair last year but lost the female. She was guarding eggs for two days and the next day she was floating around without any control. I tried to save her by separating. But it didn't work. I have no clue what it was since she had no visible injury and was still in spawning colours.
I am still searching for a new female or somebody who is searching a male

My male
E_maculatus_01.jpg

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I’m sorry to hear you lost the female. Where are you located? It seems that the one recurring theme with the wild-type maculatus is that they’re uncommon and hard to get everywhere. I even spoke to a hobbyist in India who said they were expensive there, and they’re native! Seems you could just go catch some...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
These are not actually Madagascan but always get lumped into the Madagascan category as an "other." Etroplus are the only cichlids endemic to India and Sri Lanka. A paper in 2014 reclassified E. maculatus as Pseudetroplus maculatus.

The wild color form of these fish is basically non-existent in the US hobby from what I can tell. There is a bright yellow-gold aquarium morph that was extremely common in the hobby when I was a kid, in the mid 90s. You could find them in most stores and also in books and magazines. Those seemed to disappear over the last 20 years, too. Luckily Jeff Michels at Aquaticclarity placed an order for Czech-bred fish and these were on the list, so I pre-ordered ten.

I picked up the group at the airport on July 22 and tanked them around 10pm. The next day by 2pm I had a pair starting to form.

After eight days of shimmying, dancing, cleaning potential spawning sites, and chasing their tankmates, I came home to a clutch of green eggs yesterday. Unlike the New World and West African cichlids that I usually work with, these fish tether their eggs to the spawning site by a short filament, allowing the eggs to sway in the current. For this and many other reasons, including shape, color, and behavior, they feel a lot more like saltwater fish than a cichlid. They are found in brackish water in their native range, so perhaps this is why.

I would love to eventually get my hands on the wild color form of these fish. I know that Jim Cumming maintains a pair in Canada; the trick is getting them exported here, especially with everything shut down at the border due to COVID-19. Until then, I will be glad that I finally found the gold morph and that it's not completely lost to the hobby.
That's awesome.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I’m sorry to hear you lost the female. Where are you located? It seems that the one recurring theme with the wild-type maculatus is that they’re uncommon and hard to get everywhere. I even spoke to a hobbyist in India who said they were expensive there, and they’re native! Seems you could just go catch some...
I am in Germany.
I don't remember the price exactly but it must be around 25€\30$.

I would love to observe them in their natural habitat. Also to catch some and bring them home. But getting the permits is quite difficult and expensive.
At the moment Corona/Covid makes it impossible and also more difficult to find a female here.

The golden variety is available. But I don't know if I should cross breed them in hope to get some normal coloured offspring.

Have you noticed any difference to other cichlids in the defending of the eggs?
Because my female was defending a way larger radius than the male. The male only defended the cave but let other fish really close to it.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I wonder if the line bred versions were spawned, if there would be a few in each spawn that would show up with partial wild coloring.
I have been tempted to get a few line bred ones, and only keep and breed those that show some wild color instead of (to me) the gaudy line bred fake colors.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I think the golds breed 100% true, but I’m betting you could cross the wild form with the gold form and get 100% wild types with a gold recessive gene. Just a guess. Could be a fun experiment.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I finally managed to get some fry. These are 2.5 weeks post-hatching. The pair has been spawning every 10 days or so but they eat most of the eggs before they're finished hatching. They have eggs again now so I'm going to let them keep trying, but I did pull these fry as eggs from the last spawn just to see if they'd hatch.

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Neat fish, I have always wanted to try these based on Jim Cummings experience with them.

I agree that it would be super interesting to see if you could get wild types by crossing the orange with a wild fish.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
The wild type do come in. Your LFS can order them from a wholesaler, the problem is when they come in the sell at 1/4 the speed of the golds. I believe Nautilus used to have them on their list once or twice a year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store