Ptychochromis Grandidieri

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I found some one near me who has some and I'm wanting to do it, but I need more info on this fish. Max size, possible tank mates, suggested natural scaping, current preference, diet requirements? Anyone care to share their knowledge or experience?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They seem to be fairly slow growers, I have seen some very old individuals in the 10" range.
I fed pellets with a high content of spirulina.(NLS Algaemax) and live grammarus I raised myself.
Mine began spawning at about 4" for the males, slightly smaller for females.
They never bothered fish to large to easily swallow, and I used swordtails as dither fish (although I would have much preferred Madagascar rainbow (Bedontia)

When spawning they become a fairly bright yellow

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
Great info Duanes. I like using Pachypanchax in the same tank. The fish change coloration over the years and as adults, their primitive appearance is rather impressive. grandidieri can tolerate various concentration of salt all the way to pure salt water.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree about Pachypanchax as great tank mates, especially if trying to be geographically correct.
I was able to acquire some thru an American Killifish Assn member, they were the type endemic to the Seychelles P. playfairii (close geographically)

They spawned easily in leaf litter, and as adults did well with Ptychos. The eggs did not seem to need a dry out period, some kills require.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store