Puffers

edotero

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
Long Island, NY
:D Hello all,

I would like to know what freshwater Puffers would work well in a singray tank ?
Also where can I buy these puffers ?

Regards,

Ed

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Not sure if this is a good idea..... Have read acouple threads about tankmates for rays and have never seen puffers mentioned. Maybe I am wrong but if you like your rays it might not be a good idea. Maybe someone else can prove me wrong...... If so, please do! :)

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
No problem! Just hope I'm not steering you wrong.... Can't imagine it working out but that is IMO. They are infamous for nipping fish and as they get larger often do not do well with tankmates at all. Would be sweet if you could pull it off!!!!! May not want to chance it though.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Stingrays Eyeballs look amazingly similiar to snails, especially when buried in the sand.. Would never work ;)

I have seen giant Mbus in with giant Motoros though, but the Mbu was peaceful and had alot of tankmates. Not to mention 1000g+ tanks.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I agree. Puffers can be biters, and rays would appear to be a tasty snack. Some of the lesser aggressive cichlids make great tank mates.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I could also see a puffer snipping off the tail of a ray.

keithtang

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Singapore
Never ever put puffer into your Rays tank,
they have very sharp teeth that will chip
off a piece of the ray fresh in a single snap.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
Rays are very peaceful minding their own business at all times so avoid any aggressive and territorial fish I put a small mbu puffer in with some dwarf snakeheads once it was carnage puffer bit the face off of 2 of them I really would not even contemplate putting a puffer in with rays

meis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2005
New York
i have successfully mixed rays and puffers with no issues. i kept a watchful eye at first though, as i had been told that the puffers would go for the rays eyes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store