Pulchra Compatibility

deenblitzed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
I'm in the midst of setting up a planted tank for a pair of Pulchras heading to my place in a week or so.

Tank size is 3ft x 2ft x 1.5ft. Planning to fill it with Java Ferns & Vallis plus those floating plants I've no clue what they're called in english.

Anyway, my question is this. Can I mix the Pulchra pair with a pair of Bleheris? (I got a pair of Bleheris) or this is not advisable?

Inputs from fellow forumers here are highly appreciated

Thank you

Deen (Malaysia)

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I would not do it, or try it for that matters.
A pair (if we're talking bonded pair) of any sub tropical channa will kill anything else, so two bonded pairs can only make a massacre, and leave you, if you're lucky, with one fish.

Reactions: deenblitzed

deenblitzed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
I would not do it, or try it for that matters.
A pair (if we're talking bonded pair) of any sub tropical channa will kill anything else, so two bonded pairs can only make a massacre, and leave you, if you're lucky, with one fish.

Guess I need to prepare another tank then, thanks Madou.

I think you're spot on about having one Channa left.

Initially I bought a pair of bleheri and a pair of fire & ice. The dealer I bought it from mentioned that its ok to mix them, nice to have variety in the tank. I'm a newbie to the channa hobby so... Yeah.. One of my fire & ice is gone now

So I guess maybe my Bleheris are a bonded pair hence the aggression?

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
the pulchra will kill th ebleheri after a short time. Pulchra grow bgger and faster, and are much more nasty, towards other species even their own species

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
+1 you cannot mix channa species .

They require species only and combining just 2 even if it's m/f is unadvisable.

Your best to either start with a solo fish or with a group of juvies that will weed themselves down to a m/f pair if your lucky or a solo fish if your not.

deenblitzed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
+1 you cannot mix channa species .

They require species only and combining just 2 even if it's m/f is unadvisable.

Your best to either start with a solo fish or with a group of juvies that will weed themselves down to a m/f pair if your lucky or a solo fish if your not.
DC,

It's kinda hard to find dwarf channas from where I come from. So finding a group of juvies I imagine even harder. Or maybe since I'm new to the hobby I don't know where to source them.

The pair of Bleheris I've been keeping them for a month plus now, so far no aggression observed from this pair. I got the fire ice around the same time. Everything seems ok until last week I noticed a nasty gash one of the fire ice which subsequently went to channa heaven.

As for the Pulchra pair that's heading my way, the seller assured me that they were raised together since they were small. So less probability they'll turn on each other?

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
growing siblings up togetehr tells me, that the brothers and sisters that are / grow bigger and faster feed on their smaller siblings. So Yes, if they were raised together, they can beat the **** out of another anytime, anyplace

deenblitzed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
growing siblings up togetehr tells me, that the brothers and sisters that are / grow bigger and faster feed on their smaller siblings. So Yes, if they were raised together, they can beat the **** out of another anytime, anyplace
They can still beat the crap out of each other??...... Gulp

Oh also this pair, is male & female

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store