Pump for Water Changes

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
3) I have two spare pumps (Danner Supreme Classic 9.5 and Rio+ 2100) but not sure how to use them for vacuuming either. It seems like the debris would ruin the pump and don't know what type of hoses to fit the connections either, since I use normal garden hoses to fill and empty the tank. Also, these pumps need to run underwater so that is another complicating factor.
I would just gravel vac and drain the tank separately. Gravel vac using gravity into a bucket/tub. Then, use a pump to pump water out to a drain or outside.

Juturna

Feeder Fish
Jul 24, 2017
This is probably a stupid question but I cant figure it out and my LFS's have been no help, so seeking help from MFKers...

I do water changes on my 650 gallon tank by running a hose from the tank to a bath tub and I put a Python tube on the end of the hose to vacuum the gravel. However, I don't get much draw on the water since the bath tub isn't that much lower than the tank. Can you please advise how to get a stronger pull on the water suction on the hose? I thought about connecting a pump on the end of the hose in the bath tub but can't figure out how to connect the pump to the hose or how to get the pump to pull water in the right direction (ie: from the tank to the tub). I am not able to use the Python connection on the sink because it simply wastes too much water for a tank this size. Thanks in advance.
I bought a Terapump on Amazon. It's basically an electric Python. It has a hose for draining and refilling and the end has a filter on it to protect the motor. I don't think it will clean gravel though. I use it to clean my bare bottom pond.

Arthur

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
michigan
Just gravel vac into a couple of buckets while you have a pump hooked up to a hose in the tank. No need to get too fancy

I used to do the same thing when I lived in an apartment

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
If I understand the situation correctly, I think I'd rig up a python to the bathtub's water supply. This will accelerate the water to allow for gravel-vacing without causing debris damage to your pump. Rig up one of your submersible pumps to accelerate the volume of water being removed... just mind that you don't overwhelm the drain if you send that water to the tub.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store