pump help.. is an air pump really need ?

AQUASLY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2017
Hey guys I'm new to the hobby.
Question- Do I really need an air pump for my tank?

I did some research and saw that pumped arent used for the bubbles it produces but its used for the movement ontop the water which gives air.. Idk how true that is but can someone tell me if i really need an air pump for my tank. Thanks

Btw- I have a aqueaon internal filter lying around cant i use that and place the flow ontop the water to create a movement?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Do you just not want the air or are you trying to avoid the cost?

A tetra pump on amazon rated for a 40 gallon is only $10. HERE

Reactions: AQUASLY

AQUASLY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2017
Do you just not want the air or are you trying to avoid the cost?

A tetra pump on amazon rated for a 40 gallon is only $10. HERE
I honestly dont mind the cost ? i have a air pump available but i dont like the look of it. thats why im asking if i can use my internal aqueon 10 filter and put the flow up top

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I don't have an air pump on my tank but it has a wet/dry filter.

If I connect an airstone to my oxygen concentrator, I can get dissolved oxygen levels to over 300% saturation. That tells me that oxygen from the bubbles is being dissolved in the water.

Joe2433

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2017
Cleveland, Ohio
Oxygen from the bubbles may be being dissolved in the water, but to answer his question, no he does not need an air pump if his surface agitation is enough

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I don't have an air pump on my tank but it has a wet/dry filter.

If I connect an airstone to my oxygen concentrator, I can get dissolved oxygen levels to over 300% saturation. That tells me that oxygen from the bubbles is being dissolved in the water.
There will be some oxygen exchange in the bubbles, but it's relatively minimal but will overall be an insignificant amount of exchange. If you're pumping 90% pure oxygen into the water that changes things a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store