Pump melt down

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
No, that is hard water build up and the brown is mulm (I think that’s what it’s called.) it’s soft and wipes off.

I do have sand in the main tank, but none gets past the first baffle in the sump. So this wasn’t caused by sand. Or snails. We took it apart and all the parts are in perfect shape. No visible wear on the shaft or impeller.
Though I do wonder if a loose bit of calcium buildup may have jammed it up. My husband said the impeller felt a little stuck in one area and wouldn’t freely spin all the way around.
I guess if the impeller getting blocked can cause a melt down then that must be what happened.

I’ll have to do a better job keeping on top of build up. I hate having hard water.
I suspect the impeller got stuck. Glad your fish are ok. As you noted, more frequent pump cleaning will be needed.
I seem to remember several years ago there were issues with the Rio brand of pumps and similar burn outs.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I've seen the supreme pumps do this a few times

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This can happen to any brand, if something (1 grain of sand) gets in and creates a wobble, the impeller itself ca wear.
Below is a pump where something got in pushed the impeller shaft off balance, created cavitation, and wore a figure 8 destroying the housing

below a Malay snail wedged into the volute,

I used to work in a water plant where pumps the size of compact cars had to have impellers replaced due to sand, and other debris

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
This can happen to any brand, if something (1 grain of sand) gets in and creates a wobble, the impeller itself ca wear.
Below is a pump where something got in pushed the impeller shaft off balance, created cavitation, and wore a figure 8 destroying the housing

below a Malay snail wedged into the volute,

I used to work in a water plant where pumps the size of compact cars had to have impellers replaced due to sand, and other debris
Geez, it’s crazy how little it takes.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a suitable replacement?
It would give me roughly 6x turnover without the head figured in.
I wish I knew what model the one I was using was, I never bothered to figure this all out when I set the sump up.
0D4168CA-B14F-4243-BA16-11D82AC38503.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store