Pumpkin seed

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
What’s the minimum tank size for 1 pumpkin seed sunfish. Went creek fishing and saved some for bait but wondering how big they get and minimum tank size

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Pumpkinseed sunfish typically stay in the 4-6 inch range, but can reach upwards of 12 inches (information from a quick google search). I would venture to say a 55 gallon would work for a smaller one under 8 inches, but I would recommend 75-90 gallon if you have one of the exceptionally large ones. I never kept one in a tank, but given their size, I think those would be the appropriate tanks for one.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It would be a great fish for a 75 but the flowerhorn would shred it.
Lol, I really don't think so. I've kept several sunfish species, including Pumpkinseeds. Sunnies in general fill the same eco-niche in North America as cichlids do in many other areas. They are not shrinking violets.

Assuming similar sizes, I expect that a fat, out-of-shape domestic flowerhorn, unbalanced by the giant wart on its head would be quickly dismantled by an athletic, wild-caught, fighting-trim sunfish of almost any species. Possibly, if the cichlid is a long-established resident of the tank and the sunnie is just tossed in, that might tip the odds...but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Lol, I really don't think so. I've kept several sunfish species, including Pumpkinseeds. Sunnies in general fill the same eco-niche in North America as cichlids do in many other areas. They are not shrinking violets.

Assuming similar sizes, I expect that a fat, out-of-shape domestic flowerhorn, unbalanced by the giant wart on its head would be quickly dismantled by an athletic, wild-caught, fighting-trim sunfish.
Wild caught sunfish can be pretty mean especially if it’s housed with a fish that was bred in captivity

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store