Purchasing New Stingray.

KeZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
UK
Hiya,

I'm in the middle of purchasing a Stingray.

I have 2 Questions.

What would you recommend as tankmates?
What is the ideal colour sand?

Any other info you wanna throw in i would be very grateful. :woot:

Thanks in advance. :)

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Any non agressive tankmates that wont nip at them. When they are buried their eyes can look like snails and some cichlids will go after them. You can do clown loaches and catfish and upper level fish like aro's and stuff. Keep away from plecos though cause that is trial and error and it can work and it might not.

Sand color depends on the ray you are getting. I have seen that black sand turns some rays really dark like motoros for example and they look really bad. So I use a light sand for them. Where as if you are getting black ray a black sand would work, cause I hear people saying that they prefer that better for them. But really the color you want is all up to you. Your the one who has to look at it every day.

KeZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
UK
Thankyou for your quick reply.

It's the motoro ray that i have ordered so light sand it is!!
All my tanks have a black backing on them so really what i wanted to do was to make the stingray tank black... black backing and sand!
Not that it makes that much difference! I want the Ray to be fit and as vibrant as it should be... i don't want the sand to be the cause of it looking drab.

What is the recommended depth of sand for the ray?

I'll decide what tankmates the ray will have in the near future. Any one with anymore recommendations please let me know. I really want to get this right.
I go and see the ray once a week and hand feed it so i really don't want to 'P' it off... If ya know what i mean!!!!!

Thanks again!

:D

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I have about 2 1/2in of sand and my 12in female can completely cover herself. Depth is really all up to you. I have seen tanks with more and tank with enough sand just to cover the glass, it is all a personal preference.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
no matter how much sand you put in the ray will always leave a bare bit of glass some were in the tank the anount of sand you have just deturmins how big the hump of sand in the middle of the tank will be :D

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
no matter how much sand you put in the ray will always leave a bare bit of glass some were in the tank the anount of sand you have just deturmins how big the hump of sand in the middle of the tank will be :D
:iagree:

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Yeah my sand it usually at different levels all of the time.

KeZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
UK
Ok thanks everyone... this is gonna be fun!!

What are you feeding yours? Some have different preferences to others, so i was just wondering.
When i was at the LFS last time, the guy in the shop was feeding mine shrimp.

piranha_guy_dan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
canada
Ok thanks everyone... this is gonna be fun!!

What are you feeding yours? Some have different preferences to others, so i was just wondering.
When i was at the LFS last time, the guy in the shop was feeding mine shrimp.
shrimp works good but right now mine wont eat it because i just got them and the lfs i got mine from are eatting chopped earth worms.

be sure to never feed it feeder goldfish. it may be a cool show but there is no nutritional value in goldfish and also they carry thiaminase which counter acts against thiamin which is what makes them grow. thiaminase will slow their growth because its counter acts against the thiamin which is what you want for the fish to grow.

black worms,blood worms,earth worms,shrimp,krill, chopped fish fillets.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
if getting in wild caught rays, what diseases are there to look out for, and what can you blast them with med wise to make sure youre rid of internal parasites?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store