Putting my money where my mouth is

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 check out member magpie magpie old tank, while it’s not a biotope it’s definitely the best example of bichir in a more natural aquascape, by far.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
It’s just that if you give bichir territory they’re going to hide and you’ll never see them. Most people keep little to no potential territories in their tanks. I don’t doubt that you could replicate a biotope successfully, I just doubt that it would look like it had any fish in it.

I don’t mean to discourage, doubt or be a downer but it’s just a fact regarding bichir and territory. You probably could manage a way to do it but it would be difficult to find the balance.
This is so wrong haha, my sens have the world of hiding space but only use it

This was my tank recently:
Tank 250l.JPG
magpie magpie had a lovely tank as well! Also a very natural type scape.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
It’s just that if you give bichir territory they’re going to hide and you’ll never see them. Most people keep little to no potential territories in their tanks. I don’t doubt that you could replicate a biotope successfully, I just doubt that it would look like it had any fish in it.

I don’t mean to discourage, doubt or be a downer but it’s just a fact regarding bichir and territory. You probably could manage a way to do it but it would be difficult to find the balance.
You can make something like this

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
This is so wrong haha, my sens have the world of hiding space but only use it

This was my tank recently:
View attachment 1325287
magpie magpie had a lovely tank as well! Also a very natural type scape.
I didn’t think I’d have to preface any of what I just said with “In my experience” but it is just as I’ve described. As soon as I put rocks, wood and plants in my, at the time, bichir tank I stopped seeing them altogether except at feeding time. And when I did see them aggression went way up.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I didn’t think I’d have to preface any of what I just said with “In my experience” but it is just as I’ve described. As soon as I put rocks, wood and plants in my, at the time, bichir tank I stopped seeing them altogether except at feeding time. And when I did see them aggression went way up.
We understand where you coming from, but still depends on the species of poly you have in the tank. Yes most polys like golddust, retro, moke and some LJ will hide once they sense a human present near the tank, but if you have senegal, polli, delhezi, ornate or some LJ polys that are not shy at all it wont matter if your tank have alot of vegetation of decors cause this polys like to swim around and some LJ like to be in front of the tank aswell. I have a tank that only have a few rock and just sand but i rarely see my golddust, its either underneat the poly pile or behind the rocks where all the others are swimming from top to bottom and side to side of the tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
This is why there really is no correct biotope imo unless you go by catch location. Sure densely palnted or bare minimum may suit the keeper but really not indicative to biotope.

I don't like the big guys smashing into things so I keep it to a minimum. If it weren't for the cats I wouldn't have any Dw at all.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Thanks for the compliments, but mine wasn't intended to be a biotope, and if I did it again with polys I'd make it more like the 3rd one jaws posted above - like the side of a river or lake, with some top cover, but more open substrate. If I used DW it would be more like roots going down into the water vs. creating big hides... and also might use pothos or another plant for their roots growing into the water. I'd probably use lotus and maybe tie some anubias etc. to wood up high.

That way you'd see the fish more, but it would still look like a natural environment.

A much less dense, more open version of something like this would be cool, more lotus and less thick growth at the top, and more bare sand.... so lots of changes but you get the gist.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store