putting sump 20ft away from dt?

hdrob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2011
northern BC
Has anyone had any experience with plumbing a sump that's away from the DT? I'm building a 700g DT and using a 110g sump. The plumbing would be about 20ft away with a rise of about 5 feet.

thanks!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have heard of people that put sumps in the basement and display tanks upstairs.
I have some 12' horizontal runs because I run 3 or 4 tanks on a single sump. It works fine, but it's easier to plug a horizontal line, and I use very long wire handle brushes to regularly clean out buildup. And larger bore pipes , 2" or up also help prevent dams from becoming a problem.

hdrob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2011
northern BC
Great point about the build up in the pipes. The plan was to use 4" pipe for the drains and I'm not sure about the feed line. Maybe 3"? I'll be using a reeflo snapper for a return pump.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Keep this in mind what ever size pipe your pump was designed for if you go with smaller diameter pipe you get more pressure and there for a little more height with less flow, the larger diameter the less height you will get but you will get more flow; but you will never get more flow or height then the pump was designed for. My point in this is if you go with a 3" pip and the pump was made for lets say 1.5" you might get more gph @X ft but you will get less feet of head in the end.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
There's some guy on YouTube that has a sump that runs straight through his walls of his house, out of the house, and underground into his garage. It goes around 40' I think. I think his name is 30gallonreefguy not sure ill look him up.

-Andrew

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
we had 50' of distance from the pump room to the pond in a recent installation. Pump/filter maker suggested 4' pipe, so that's what we used.
No head- all was designed to be even/level. Also, canister (bead) filter so no sump. Probably not pertinent or helpful ;)

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
Also remember to calculate the pipe volume that u use in your plumbing so you know how much water will drain into your sump if there is a power outage, to avoid a overflow

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Keep this in mind what ever size pipe your pump was designed for if you go with smaller diameter pipe you get more pressure and there for a little more height with less flow, the larger diameter the less height you will get but you will get more flow; but you will never get more flow or height then the pump was designed for. My point in this is if you go with a 3" pip and the pump was made for lets say 1.5" you might get more gph @X ft but you will get less feet of head in the end.
This is very interesting. Can you share where you found this information?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store