PVC alternative to Python water changer

Johnez

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2020
Edit: I just realized I may have posted this in the wrong section. If it needs to be moved to DIY or somewhere else, my apologies.

I've seen quite a few ways to do water changes, figure I'll throw my hat in and share Part 2 is more interesting as it shows a unique (IMO way to fill the tank):

Part 1:

Part 2:

Last edited:
Reactions: Backfromthedead

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
This setup is the best thing I've done in the hobby, especially for keeping a lot of different tanks. I saw a similar idea years ago and sort of developed my own method from pieces I already had in the garage. I use 1 inch pvc for the hanger with a slip fit strainer on the end, and it connects to a 25 foot length of 1.25 inch inner diameter vinyl hose by way of a barb fitting. It drains tanks very quickly out into my yard, speeding up the process of simple drain and fill water changes on days when I'm not doing gravel vacc'ing. Then I use a short 6 foot piece of garden hose that is adapted to a matching barb fitting that simply plugs into the other end of the vinyl hose for refilling. If I do 30% water changes I can get away without worrying about temperatures, if I go 60% or more I do add some hot water into the cold outflow as it fills up to balance out temps.

Johnez

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2020
This setup is the best thing I've done in the hobby, especially for keeping a lot of different tanks. I saw a similar idea years ago and sort of developed my own method from pieces I already had in the garage. I use 1 inch pvc for the hanger with a slip fit strainer on the end, and it connects to a 25 foot length of 1.25 inch inner diameter vinyl hose by way of a barb fitting. It drains tanks very quickly out into my yard, speeding up the process of simple drain and fill water changes on days when I'm not doing gravel vacc'ing. Then I use a short 6 foot piece of garden hose that is adapted to a matching barb fitting that simply plugs into the other end of the vinyl hose for refilling. If I do 30% water changes I can get away without worrying about temperatures, if I go 60% or more I do add some hot water into the cold outflow as it fills up to balance out temps.
I love the customization options with this kind of thing. 30%, 60%, 90% water change, whatever you want. Can attach the perfect lengths of hose for whatever you need. I'm I'm surprised the python caught on like it did being it's not that hard or expensive to put something together DIY. I particularly hate the fact that the python requires running water to drain a tank. In drought states this is a total non-starter.

Reactions: FESHMAN

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
I like the design. Simple and effective with plenty of customizability.

The only downside I see to your specific design in the video is the ability to gravel vac. But you could easily alter your design to allow gravel vac, or just use a long tool to stir up crud from the gravel while it's draining.

When I had larger tanks (55gal plus) I always used a Python. I considered making my own, but it did everything I needed and wasn't that expensive. I rarely used the sink to drain, I generally ran the end of the python out a door or window into the garden (or even a drum) and used the fish water to water plants. I only connected the python to the faucet for filling.

Sleepymas

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2019
J Johnez

You said you need running water for python? I didn't know that, I run water for about 5 seconds to create a vacuum then turn water off. I can hear the moment to turn water off as it gets really loud. The speed at which it drains is slower than water on but it has worked well for me. There is enough suction to vacuum the gravel normally even with it being slower.

Does that mean I just got lucky with my set up and if I get another I might need running water?

I like this diy I'll have to give it a try and I just got another tank and the time is starting to get long to change all the tanks.

I wonder if I can make something with my raspberry pi to auto change the the mode when it hits bottom and turns water off when gets to top or at minimum releases at sink to pull vacuum again. First pass maybe just a sensor and alert to phone/local alarm. Sounds like a fun project to work on coding with kids. Thanks for making me think about it.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Johnez

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2020
J Johnez

You said you need running water for python? I didn't know that, I run water for about 5 seconds to create a vacuum then turn water off. I can hear the moment to turn water off as it gets really loud. The speed at which it drains is slower than water on but it has worked well for me. There is enough suction to vacuum the gravel normally even with it being slower.

Does that mean I just got lucky with my set up and if I get another I might need running water?

I like this diy I'll have to give it a try and I just got another tank and the time is starting to get long to change all the tanks.

I wonder if I can make something with my raspberry pi to auto change the the mode when it hits bottom and turns water off when gets to top or at minimum releases at sink to pull vacuum again. First pass maybe just a sensor and alert to phone/local alarm. Sounds like a fun project to work on coding with kids. Thanks for making me think about it.
Many people leave the faucet on. Being the sink height and tank height have little difference I assume it's probably faster to drain with the faucet on to keep the flow going. If your tank is higher maybe the difference is great enough to keep the flow at a decent speed.

Sleepymas

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2019
Thanks it would stink to waste all that water so I'm glad mine just works with water off.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I love the customization options with this kind of thing. 30%, 60%, 90% water change, whatever you want. Can attach the perfect lengths of hose for whatever you need. I'm I'm surprised the python caught on like it did being it's not that hard or expensive to put something together DIY. I particularly hate the fact that the python requires running water to drain a tank. In drought states this is a total non-starter.
Another bonus is that once your depth measurements are set you can start it draining and walk away. Breaks it's own siphon when it gets to the proper level. Plug the hose in and refill. And to address the gravel vac comments, I bought a cheap gravel vac online and just got a 25 foot length of vinyl hose so my gravel vac drains into the yard also. I dont gravel vac every time, and my planted tanks never get it, so using both setups gives me options for different tanks and saves time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store