PVC-DWV?

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I was hoping I had some "sweep 90's" to post a pic. They are used for drains and such. Regular 90's are too tight of a turn for most koi. Although I can tell you a sad story about the contrary. Anyway, they are on the same isle at the Home Depot. I haven't been in a Menards in several years (they are not in Florida) so I can't say where to find them there. A cheaper alternative to pvc is the black polypropylene used for in ground drainage. It is corrugated so it may not be what you want to look at all the time. It comes in large sizes if your koi are mature. How big are they by the way? Mine are still babies at about three to four inches.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
anything that says dwv on it would not be adviseable to use, as it is not rated for potable- meaning drinkable- water. it may have worked for others but it is not regulated when manufactured as well as potable water piping, meaning that any crap that might get mixed in with it accidentally at the factory is no big deal, and it is usually extremely flammable as it usually contains by products of oil manufacturing- well at least abs does. i am a plumber and deal with these pipes every day and i personally would never use any dwv. just my 2 cents though. im sure many others will tell you otherwise.

Plumber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
here
A person will probably get away with using DWV 999 out of 1000 times, but dmopar74 is technically correct. DWV is basiscally a byproduct of the process of making higher purity piping. For the application being addressed here, why not spend the extra 2 cents or so and get the pipe rated for potable water. Having said that, some of the larger sizes would be hard to find at your local hardware store, so I would call a plumbing wholesale business.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
True true. If PVC breaks your bank, well then this is not the right hobby for you... :D To many things that go wrong and end up costing you several $$.

Nate77

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2006
Manheim PA
dmopar74;570175; said:
anything that says dwv on it would not be adviseable to use, as it is not rated for potable- meaning drinkable- water. it may have worked for others but it is not regulated when manufactured as well as potable water piping, meaning that any crap that might get mixed in with it accidentally at the factory is no big deal, and it is usually extremely flammable as it usually contains by products of oil manufacturing- well at least abs does. i am a plumber and deal with these pipes every day and i personally would never use any dwv. just my 2 cents though. im sure many others will tell you otherwise.
It's all supposed regulated if you saw some of the stuff they leave go.PW some of it will also say DWV on it.All of our sch 40 used to have PW and DWV on it they now changed to just PW.Look for the NSF on it.If its NSF it more regulated.
As far as stuff getting mixed in with it.If that happens you ain't making pipe witch rarely happens as that cause problems with extruder then your ripping stuff apart.
ABS i couldn't tell you about as we don't make that any more at our plant.
Your DWV, PW ,SCH 40,80 ,SDR sewer 3034, C-900 Is all made from wax and resin just different formulas.Ok enough i looked at pipe allday

missyme06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2006
United States
CHOMPERS;568848; said:
How big are they by the way? Mine are still babies at about three to four inches.
my largest is about 7 inches long and my smallest is about 4, but they aren't two big around yet.

there are six fish in this picture, 4 are koi 2 are comits.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
missyme06;570358;570358 said:
my largest is about 7 inches long and my smallest is about 4, but they aren't two big around yet.

there are six fish in this picture, 4 are koi 2 are comits.
GREAT looking koi. That 7" won't last long... I had one go from 4" to ~11" in less than 8 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store