PVC Wrapped Plant Suggestions

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
In my large tank, I have got a PVC pipe that runs about six inches above the surface of the water inside the aquarium lid, where the air is warm and very humid - saturated. It is the pipe for the constant drip in that tank. In fact, I have arranged the drip so that some of the drip runs back along the pipe. The lid is transparent and the lights are directly above the lid.

But I don't want to see the pipe.

I am going to wrap it in jute string, and maybe even embed some tree bark in it. And then I want to plant something on it.

I dunno what.

Preferably, something that will grow along the pipe, grow no more than a few inches high, possible have roots that trail into the water below, likes high humidity and medium to bright light, does not need any great nutrients from soil (because it won't get any), and of course look great. Another detail will be - will I be able to get any?

Any suggestions?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
In my large tank, I have got a PVC pipe that runs about six inches above the surface of the water inside the aquarium lid, where the air is warm and very humid - saturated. It is the pipe for the constant drip in that tank. In fact, I have arranged the drip so that some of the drip runs back along the pipe. The lid is transparent and the lights are directly above the lid.

I am going to wrap it in jute string, and maybe even embed some tree bark in it. And then I want to plant something on it.

I dunno what.

Preferably, something that will grow along the pipe, grow no more than a few inches high, possible have roots that trail into the water below, likes high humidity and medium to bright light, does not need any great nutrients from soil (because it won't get any), and of course look great. Another detail will be - will I be able to get any?

Any suggestions?
Wrap it with Java Moss.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
E54C6E74-7CE8-4204-BD5E-C16F12711339_1_201_a.jpeg
When I first set up the tank above, the PVC was white an eyesore.
I've found lengths of bamboo do fairly well at camouflaging the pipe, and giving a slightly less "un-natural" look..
64AA1C65-4BF3-4053-A213-2D6A45AF126D_1_201_a.jpeg

I saw out a section lengthwise just wide enough to slip the 1" PVC inside, the one above runs the entire 6 ft of the tank.
Half lifted off below.
79CABEFD-E75A-4D5A-BDDA-54D850DE8E57_1_201_a.jpeg
Semi-emergeant plants sometimes do a fair job.
1BFAC411-9756-4BB6-A84D-D46AF91CC47F_1_201_a.jpeg

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021

I dunno what.

Any suggestions?
I second the Java Moss suggestion. Ficus pumila is another decent option that would do well in the conditions you've listed, providing it has something to attach itself onto. Bucephalandra and Anubias could also work, although it might be a bit more costly and time-consuming; the rhizomes would also need to be superglued/tied onto the PVC.

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
If you drilled holes along the top of the PVC, and if those holes are out of the water....you would have a pretty standard hydroponics set up for lettuce or herbs, some fancy lettuces look pretty darn ornamental.

Reactions: Midwater

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I use buce and anubius nana for things like this. Works a treat. Use a dollop of superglue gel to set it in place and it will grow roots as it grows. Or place it on top of some gravel and it will root and spread. Start out with more than you think you need as they grow slow.
You could also look at some of the smaller crypts or even grasses, monte carlo.

You may even be able to get moss to grow over the jute string hiding that. Another way to hide it is to put a layer of silicone on the outside and roll it through sand of your choice. You can use this silicone to embed twigs and wood as well to make a riparian tray.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store