Python Vacuum Not cutting it. Ideas??

joshualaliberte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2019
Hey guys, I have a Python Gravel Vacuum but my fish waste is just too large now to the point where it never makes it up the tube and out of the tank when I am using the vacuum. It makes it about halfway and then falls back down. I have tried using gravity and also using the attachment for the sink and my sink has excellent pressure.

What do you recommend using when your fish get so large that a Python no longer works? I have ordered a 400 GPH power head in the hopes that will be strong enough. Going to put something together like this but not dump it back into the tank like in the video.

Any ideas or insight you guys can provide is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Joshua

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
The setup in the video seems more complicated than it needs to be. I do something similar for my water changes, where it's just a pump with a 1/2" vinyl tube that runs to my sink. In reverse, I just put the pump in a bucket under the faucet. Easy and doesn't waste water to create pressure like a python does while draining.

Anyway, the same concept works here ... just attach a python gravel tube to the intake of the pump. If the filter sheet/floss is fine enough, you may not need anything else, just drop the pump in the water and plug it in. That's what I'd do. If you want to drain into a bucket, just run another tube from the pump return. You're going to be filling buckets pretty fast with a 400gph pump tho... seems like unnecessary effort lugging buckets of water around... I refuse to do that anymore.

joshualaliberte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2019
I have very long hoses and tubing so I will not be using any buckets. I just want to get my tank clean!!!

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I have very long hoses and tubing so I will not be using any buckets. I just want to get my tank clean!!!
Right, so you can do something similar to what I do for water changes, just add gravel tube w/floss to the pump intake. I like to keep gravel cleaning and water changes separate, but I may try something like this as well... thanks for the inspiration. :)

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Get a shorter gravel vac, invert it in the tank, the poo will slide down the side then down the hose. It's what I do for Caspers logs he leaves

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I just chuck my 1" hose in an suck on the other end. Throws the end of the hose out the door and sucks everything i wanna vacuum up and out the door. Dont have to be more complicated then that. If im doing a large wc i throws my eheim 1262 in the tank with the hose out the door and lets it suck water while i try to move all waste on the bottom towards the pump. Easy as f.

Reactions: adamsfishes

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Vacuum strength is related to how far the water drops.
If you can add some hose that outflows at a lower elevation, it will increase suction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store