Quarantine New Fish with Medicine? Also what are must have medicines?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Hey Everyone I appreciate all the feedback, as fish wise. Im not entirely sure what I will be getting, but im thinking along the lines of Geos/Bichir/serverums/angelfish/bristle nose pleco (some kind of combination of them). All of the fish I will be getting will most likely be captive bred. I will grab some of the medicines listed, probably would be best to just wait for an issue to happen before buying medicine, but I dont like to not have anything on stand by.
One thing you may want to consider....
Many Geophagine are rheophillic (or at least semi-rheophillic, meaning they appreciate fairly strong current, slightly cooler temps and consequently, more and highly oxygenated waters than others....
Severums, and angels, are placid water species, preferring less current, and slightly warmer temps.
Being a biotope aquarist, I would probably not combine those cichlids unless the tank was large enough to be able to sustain both habitats at the same time,
an example might be a tank with a large and open sandy area with a power head, or wave maker providing linear flow across it , aimed strategically across the length os the tank for Geophagus.
One other Geo quirk, often times without that strong current to work against, and if temps are slightly elevated, as Geos age and mature, they become quarrelsome with each other (and may even take out that excess unused energy, on other species).
And different more oxbow habitat, a more logged or rocky strewn area with softer current for the severums and angelfish.
But as a personal quirk, if it were me, 'Id set up 2 separate tanks, instead of one, one in the 6 ft range range for the Geo, and another (maybe a 90 gal) tall tank for the angels and Sevs.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
One thing you may want to consider....
Many Geophagine are rheophillic (or at least semi-rheophillic, meaning they appreciate fairly strong current, slightly cooler temps and consequently, more and highly oxygenated waters than others....
Severums, and angels, are placid water species, preferring less current, and slightly warmer temps.
Being a biotope aquarist, I would probably not combine those cichlids unless the tank was large enough to be able to sustain both habitats at the same time,
an example might be a tank with a large and open sandy area with a power head, or wave maker providing linear flow across it , aimed strategically across the length os the tank for Geophagus.
One other Geo quirk, often times without that strong current to work against, and if temps are slightly elevated, as Geos age and mature, they become quarrelsome with each other (and may even take out that excess unused energy, on other species).
And different more oxbow habitat, a more logged or rocky strewn area with softer current for the severums and angelfish.
But as a personal quirk, if it were me, 'Id set up 2 separate tanks, instead of one, one in the 6 ft range range for the Geo, and another (maybe a 90 gal) tall tank for the angels and Sevs.

Thank you for the fed back, I should of been more clear. What I listed, I didnt mean to put all of them together was still debating on what decide amongst them. Since I have a 75, Im leaning on angelfish/bristlenose pleco/ (some kind a angelfish safe tetra or barbs) and cory cat school or a Bichir.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
My current QT method is I deworm with levamisole (use Fritz expel-p. Prior to this product I had bought a bulk pack of animal dewormer that was bulk levamisole and divided a dose from there). I also have Prazi in the form of General Cure but I'd probably just use the version Aquarium coop recommends now.

I'm doing it with rainbowfish and panda garra I have in QT now. It's probably not necessary but these dewormer meds arent supposed to be that hard on the fish and I feel better doing it since can't easily see internal parasites until they fish get super skinny.

I think this is a must for wild caught fish. Aquarium coop has an article on his deworming treatments for puffer fish.

I follow aquarium coops salt protocols as well. Two rainbows had some mouth damage. Rainbows do get this a lot from running into stuff. In the main tank, doing slightly more frequent water changes when this happened worked. The fish were probably fine in QT if I didn't treat, but I did salt treatment and they healed up on about a week.

I have done two Levamisole treatments. Did one and then the next 2.5 weeks later. I'll do the general cure in about 2-3 weeks (just finished the second levamisole last week) and then another round of general cure 2-3 weeks later and I'll be done with QT assuming the fish look healthy (which they do so far).

In my case, I'll move most of the rainbows over. I'll probably keep 6 small rainbows and the panda garra in the tank so they'll grow a little bigger just to make sure a big clown loach doesn't decide they are food. Red shark once mentioned that one of his big clown loaches ate a baby bristlenose on time so I don't want to take any chances.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I haven't listened to it yet but Aquarium Coop just did a lifestream about his med trio:

Edit:
Listened to first ten minutes. Seems reasonable. He actually talks about how he doesn't just for med trio for smaller batches of fish that he's putting into his home tank.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store