Question about 125 gallon tank and sump

Cornishrooster

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2016
Hi all,
New to this forum so I apologize if this is a repeat topic. I've been keeping fish for quite awhile but always have had smaller freshwater tanks, nothing bigger than a 55, I'm jumping to a 125 with dual overflows and a sump and had a few questions I'd like some opinions on.

1) Marineland vs aqueon 125 with dual overflows, which one do you like better? Aqueon tanks have overflows left and right of center, harder to get to if you need to access while against the wall but you can't see the pipes from the sides. Marineland has overflows on the sides which are easily seen but much easier to access. Would love to hear some opinions on which is better and why.

2) What size sump should I make for the tank? Have a 20 long I was considering using but not sure if that's big enough. Haven't found a whole lot of info on this topic. At first considered using a 33 or a 40 long but would hate to buy one as this is already an expensive project.

Thanks for any input!

Cheers
Mike

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
The overflow will have probably 10-20 gallons depending on how high the overflow is but if you have a Sump thats 20 gallons 10 gallons should flow through and then if you have a power outage it will flood the sump. You can make it work though just got to dial things in.

Cornishrooster

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2016
The overflow will have probably 10-20 gallons depending on how high the overflow is but if you have a Sump thats 20 gallons 10 gallons should flow through and then if you have a power outage it will flood the sump. You can make it work though just got to dial things in.

Makes sense. Thanks for the input. I'll go with a 33 long then I think. Will give me plenty of room to put my pump in and all that.
Cheers
Mike

kraftjd4610

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2015
Ohio
I read on here you want a sump about a third of the size of the tank. I have a 30 gallon sump on my 125 and have zero issues.

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
Easy math for sumps is 20g per 100g of aquarium. I don't like either overflows. They're too expensive IMO. I DIY'd my overflows. They cost me less than $30 and work great. Just have to size your plumbing accordingly. On my 125g I used two of the following. 20g Tall, 1-1/4 overflow, two pumps (mag drive model 3), two filter socks, two returns. Tank stays clean and clear! Look at good will for tanks to use as sumps. I found both of mine for a total of $30!

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
Pick up a cheap 40 gallon breeder when Petco or Petsmart has their dollar per gallon sale. We have a Marineland 300 gallon tank and just painted the sides of the tank where the overflow area is visible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store