Question about an Odyssea CFS700 canister filter

Truxx1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Hey guys, I am setting up a 125 gallon tank and I bought one of these and I also have a 350 Marine magnum canister filter. My question is, when I bought this CFS700 filter, I didnt see anything about replacement filter media. Have any of you guys got one of these filters and do you know where to get the filter media for them? And how often to you typically change them? I know it depends alot on the fish load and tank size, but do you actually change the media or wash it out for a while or what? I thought I might be able to use some media from a different filter like a FX5 (If I got a filter tray from one of them) and use their media in this thing. Anyway, Thanks for any help.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
I use one of the CFS700's on my 220 and all I do is take all the media out and clean it out about every 2-3 months or so and it runs strong. I have a sump on my 220 also, so I have no bio-media in my 700, I use it stricktly for the mechanical and UV of the filter.

leviathon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
USA
I've got one of the older versions that does 350gph on my 75 turtle tank,i just clean the media, you can buy replacement media on ebay or aquatraders.com but the"carbon"and "ammonia remover"are basically worthless, carbon appears to be charcoal which does nothing, and the zeolite looks to me to be white gravel.as far as the pads go,i think the marineland media would fit, or make your own from polyester batting sheets cut to fit.hope this helps, other than that I think they are pretty good filters for the money

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MakuCentauri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Australia
I'm the same as Paulbearer - have one of these purely for mechanical in addition to my sump. I pull the innards out every now and then to give them a rinse but that's it. I suppose you could use most types of typical canister bio media in it though. Just bag some Matrix etc and slot it in between the top and bottom layers of foam. I like this one for its high flow rate and since it's clear I can tell when it needs a good clean out.

Truxx1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking since I have a Marineland350, which has activated carbon in it that along with the CFS700 I'd be in pretty good shape if I didnt overcrowd the tank. I really dont want to build a sump and all that if I dont have to. I have 2 HOB 400 Marineland's if I need them. I'll probably swap out one of the foam inserts for some form of carbon or amonia inserts in the near future when I get to that point.

leviathon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
USA
Yeah,i think the cfs is a copy of the marineland design so any of the mechanical media should fit it with out altering it.and as fast as chemical and bio media go, big mesh bags make that pretty straight forward, glad we could help

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
ok i just got one of these today for my arowana tank. installed and everything plugged in. can feel the pump working but no water suction or pumping? and yes the valves are opened. am i missing something?

MakuCentauri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Australia
Check the impeller.

I had a couple of times where I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled then hooked it back up only to discover it wasn't pumping. I had to disassemble again and make sure the impeller housing was properly set before reassembling and setting up again (sigh). Now when I pull out all the foam and clean it, I check before putting it all back together.

Fill the main chamber with water and plug it in for a second or two (without the lid - just make sure you do it in the sink or you'll have water everywhere!!) - if water's shooting out of the upright pipe that connects to the return hose then you're back in business - just put all the foam back in and hook it up to the tank.

If not, then jiggle the impeller, make sure it's properly in place and try again till it works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store